Looking for big turbo opinions

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
On the left is a GT40, On the right is a Garrett GT37A82 from a powerstroke diesel. 65MM inducer, 101mm hot side. Variable vane, anti surge, anti lag. I'm going with the GT37. I'm surprised more of you guys are not doing this. Anyone have setups with diesel truck turbo?? If so let me know what you think of it?

Having a 4inch DDP and a full 4inch straight pipe fabricated for this setup. Will post pics of progress.

Attachments

• 529475_549340445086125_650798878_n.jpg
    529475_549340445086125_650798878_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
Apparently I have a lot of homework to do then, kind of burst my bubble there lol. Sounds like I might be better off using the GT42. I'm going to look into the variable vane problem to see if it's worth going for it

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
I have been doing alot of research on it. It will be a challenging build. People have done it on gas engines with success and failure.

I looked into the EGT problem and I have found that temps between gas and diesel are not too far off from each other so with some extra work to keep heat down I will be fine.

I have seen maintenance problems with it due to build up on the variable vanes but gas engines burn much cleaner so I think I will be fine there.

People have been able to use a AVCR to tune the turbo, it's variable vanes are electronically controlled, using signals from boost, EGT, TPS, and a/f.

I can build but I'm not a tuner so I'm in over my head but I'm sure I can get help so I'm going to take on the challenge and do this build.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Is that from a 6.0 ford. Those turbos in those trucks build like 2lbs at idle I believe. I have a 7.3 and Iv read and know alot of people who have 6.0 diesels. They have soot build up problems on the veins. If u beat on it the soot wasnt a issue it was when all u did was drive like a grandma a d it would build up on the turbo. Those engines are odd the more u beat on it the longer they last its odd but true.

In gunna be running the hx35 off a cummins. Diesel turbo are very stout they can handle alot of boost most of them

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
Yeah it's from the 6.0. I have read about the soot build up and I'm hoping since gas engines burn cleaner that I won't have that problem. I have seen videos of cars running this turbo and they spool up very fast.

I do have a long way to go but I think this turbo is worth the effort.