Logan's MK3 Build Thread

D51208

Apr 22, 2014
Oswego
Well, I've been working a while on the car so I thought I'd start a thread finally.

It all started out at the end of winter. My Subaru was a little rusty from our wonderful NY roads. So I was like hey, I want a RWD car. I had a few options and I searched for weeks for any one of the options, a mk3 was at the top of the list followed by a sc followed by a 240. I knew whatever I was gonna get was going to get built.
For the Mk3 I wanted and am doing a 7mgte build.
Sc I was gonna drop a 2JZGTE.
240 would have been a RB 25 build.

Alas the MK3 seemed to be most economically efficient and I found one for the right price.
So I found one from a Cool guy down in Rochester. 1987 Supra with the 7mgte and automatic. Got her for $1750. 188k on the clock. Has a small spot of rot in the Kframe, nothing serios though.
This is the way I got her. Kind of doggish when I tried getting on it until I discovered driving it in 1 2 OD and then drive if I want to beat on her. Horrible lights too.
IMG_20140402_180243.jpg
IMG_20140408_133406.jpg

So I bought some trim stuff from pep boys. Kind of looks really weird, but better than what it was. Made my own intake from that piping stuff they sell as well along with some better lights. Then came some inter cooler piping from CXRACING, still using stock inter cooler though. They ended up selling me the piping for use with their own intercooler, I thought it was for stock. Also they forgot the BOV. So I called them up and they shipped the BOV out. That was a pain to get on! They couldnt help with the pipe not fitting though. So made some custom pipes and made it work! :naughty: Now when I can piut it in the budget I'll have the piping for their inter cooler. That is about the way she sits right now.
IMG_20140514_151945.jpg
IMG_20140514_151929.jpg

But wait there is more...

So, browsing craigslist for some parts, I found another Supra! 1986.5 with an 89 7mgte swapped in it. Picked it up for $1700. Paint was great, but has rust spots so gonna have to fix that. I'm thinking fix the rust spots correctly and use plastic dip to make it look right maybe some cool design, color: black. Back window was redone, incorrectly and leaks. Key ignition/neutral saftey didnt work from the R154 swap due to I'm guessing wiring and not removing the auto ecu. So you had to put key in ignition on on and then hot wire it!!! Crazy, right? No down pipe off the turbo, just the elbow. Sounded like a turbo Diesel. Power steering unhooked and completely shot struts. So we bought it anyways. Also we were promised an extra set of suicide pipes from Florida and maybe even an extra R154!!! However have yet to hear back from him on that... :nono: On the way driving home noticed it vibrated extremely/ dangerously bad. So, ended up pulling over and had it towed 4 hours home! (For some reason the site will not let me upload this specific picture of the car?)

Got it up in the air and guess what it was? The lower control arm was barley bolted in. Whoever did the previous alignment forgot to tighten bolts down :aigo:
So, I developed a plan.
1. Pull the engine and build it!
2. Temporarily stick the R154 into my Red DD supra.
3. When I am done building the engine, pull the engine out of DD and put built engine in.
4. Start working on blue cars paint and suspension.
5. When ^^^ that is done, swapping everything back into that?! ( A lot of work, but I don't really mind. Plus the majority of all this work is being done outside on the ground except the R154 swap onto my DD!)

It won't let me upload any other pictures, but I'll try and edit and add them or put in a different post.

Everything went decently swell pulling the engine and bringing it into the basement.
Right now the block is completely tore down. I have Eagle rods coming. It comes with Arias pistons as well. only 2 of which are new. So they are being sold. I am thinking Probe pistons to slap on there and using .020mm over. Also have a 60 trim Ct26 and EBC coming from FernandoDLT!
Will be getting the block decked for MHG. Possibly getting the crank polished due to some damage from previous bearings.
New oil squirters and then a rebuild kit with water and oil pump from Mishumoto (not sure on spelling). Other general maintenance things inside of the engine. Then doing a 3" exhuast. Not a crazy amount of horsepower at this point. A bit below fuel cut.

Later I am going to be getting cams as the ones I have now are shot. The gear itself has ground down a bit. I just can't fit the extra $700 in right now. Injectors at the same time. Then I am thinking a mega squirt and cranking the horse up to about 450-500?

Different clutch, lightweight flywheel and drive shaft eventually.