Lipp BOSS Turbo is crap

Amstaff

Jun 19, 2010
Umeå
If you buy a turbo for $2000 you would atleast expect it to last more than 10 minutes?
This is the Boss Lipp t04 (stage 5) with ITS compressor housing, rated at 650hp and specs 67mm in.

I was warned on Supramania from another member but the turbo showed no signs of problems compared to all my other turbos i´ve mounted before, there was some minor play in the bearings but nothing unusual.
As you all know you dont play around with a new turbo that never has been started before.

"Can you post a pic of the boss turbo front housing? it looks exactly like the "ITS" model I had that was destroyed in under 40 miles... had the same anodized backing plate and curiously long turbo shaft.
If in fact it is an ITS unit ships it out and have it balanced, mine came with a turbonetics core and mismatched bearings, But spun freely. Ended up having to buy basically a full turbo sans exhaust and compressor housing and swap everything over. I’d hate to see yours blow up too."

Brand new in box, bought 2007 from Suprasport and since then been in the same box it was shipped with.
NEVER used before, NEVER mounted, NEVER touched more than when housing was removed to get cleaned up on the outside and to align housing to IC piping.

Check before start:

* No oil leaks from oil / water lines to turbo (all hoses from suprasport)
* Oil pressure good, engine worked fine before turbo change (30sek intervalls with starter and no ignition)
* New DP mounted
* No pressure leaks from IC piping
* Ignition set to 10 degrees
* Impeller was held by hand to make sure oil reached turbo
* Turbo pressure was set to 0.8bars with the WG that came with turbo

First startup, no strange sounds, enginge ran fine, it stood for 20mins on idle and oil / water temps were fine.
First road test, started slowly on 2:nd gear and revved until turbo started to spool, a real bad sound came from the turbo, like "MWHEEEEEEEEEE", tried again, max pressure it reached was 0.2bar. Removed WG hose and tried again to see if it would even build pressure, 0.2bar was max.

We went back and started removing all hoses and pipes, and this is what we find, a turbo that sells for $2000 with so bad bearings and balancing that the impellers "wobble" and touch the housing.
I´ve had Holset turbos with same or more play in the bearing and the have worked fine.
Turbo has now been removed and I wont let a Boss turbo touch my engine even for free..

This was taken as soon as the housing was removed, it was remove without ANY force as its held by 6x bolts.
200801_10150192309371959_643951958_8671518_8042098_n.jpg

This is after 20-30mins of use.

2me1l45.jpg

vy8ae0.jpg

5uk4eu.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Amstaff;1745706 said:
I was warned on Supramania from another member but the turbo showed no signs of problems compared to all my other turbos i´ve mounted before, there was some minor play in the bearings but nothing unusual.

Looks like more than minor play. Shaft play can develop without any use by sitting. My CT26 did it. After far less than 4 years. I don't know how long they last when never used. Like if there is assemblyl lube to protect it before use. It would seem like it should, but I don' know how long it will last.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hmm, Greg stopped using ITS after they split up, he went with Comp after that. I wonder if this is why ITS split up... (bad quality product) I have had very good luck with my Comp Turbo based Boss.

The problem with buying a product and then sitting on it for years is that if the manufacturer sent faulty parts, you won't know until after its been run to know about the fault. Had this turbo run back in 2007, you would have noticed the damage and Greg would've tore ITS a new one IMO.

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this situation.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I was thinking Innovative Turbo Solutions went under. A member at MKIIItech.net had contact or new somebody there. Their demise might have a story.