Link between TEMS and cruise?

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Did a quick title search with no luck. Before I go digging into wiring diagrams does any know where the TEMS and cruise control systems are linked? Both are intermittently in-op. No warning lights, no flashing TEMS. TEMS stays on normal regardless of what I set it to, still functions properly otherwise. Cruise will not turn on at the dash switch. Now and then I notice the second TEMS light will come on and when it does my cruise also works.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
First I must apologize for being a dumbass, but what is the VSS? I'm trying to diagnose my cruise control problems. My car no longer has TEMS but did at one time. My cruise on/off light will only come on when it feels like it. I've replaced the actuator and the ecu and relay with no change. I've also changed out the switches from a spare steering wheel with no change. Sometimes the on/off light will come on and you can hear the relay click and sometimes it won't. Never engages no matter what. And sometimes if you hit the buttom to turn it off the on/off light will stay on. Makes it difficult to try and pull codes from cc ecu. Before I start digging around with speed sensors on the transmission I'd like to check everything on the top side of the car.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Anyone know what kind of signal the VSS in the dash puts out? I know it is 4ppr but is it a sine wave? Seems like a pretty convenient signal to use since the speedo cable turns at a little more then 1000 revolutions per mile.