Lexus sc300 eating oil...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ok, we got the 95 sc300 and it's been awesome with a few minor issues here and there. However, this oil lose issue has me confused.

It doesn't leak oil anywhere that I can see. No drip spots and I've been under it a few times and see no sign of oil leaking. The oil level will stay Full for weeks on end with no sign of oil lose if we don't take it on the freeway. A few hour drive on the freeway and it is noticeable low on oil afterwards. No noticeable smoke from the exhaust or oil coming out of the exhaust.

I was talking to a few people and they are saying rings could be worn. However, why would driving on the freeway cause it to consume oil? When driving on the streets the RPM is high than on the freeway, the ole lady doesn't baby it at all.

I've changed the spark plugs recently and didn't see any problem signs on the plugs. Using mobil1 synthetic because that's what came with it.

Any suggestions on where to look? I was planning on a leak down test later on. We rarely take it on the freeway so it's not a huge issue right now.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There's no spots anywhere? It doesn't smoke excessively?

If the rings were bad, it would smoke. If it was going through the turbo seals, it would smoke. It has to be leaking out from oil drain plug, dip stick tube, turbo lines, return lines.........somewhere, or it's magic.........lol

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
suprahero;1658928 said:
There's no spots anywhere? It doesn't smoke excessively?

If the rings were bad, it would smoke. If it was going through the turbo seals, it would smoke. It has to be leaking out from oil drain plug, dip stick tube, turbo lines, return lines.........somewhere, or it's magic.........lol

It's NA 2j I forgot to mention that and it's bone stock.

I park it in my garage and there's not a drop on the floor. I was thinking of adding UV dye to the oil to track a leak if there is one.

Also no smoke at all that I can see. I was going to have the ole lady drive on the freeway and I follow to see if I can see anything that way even. Someone was suggesting it could be leaking past the rings to the exhaust and the cat can absorb it and not smoke. If the rings were bad I thought I would had seen sign on the old spark plugs, but they were fine.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles;1658947 said:
Check the PCV system and do a compression test.

Compression test and not a leak down test?

I will check the PCV for any clogs and such.

I should also note, the coolant looks perfectly fine no sign of a BHG and the oil also looks totally fine.