Legal Matter: Realty/Law Experience?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Legal matter:

Saturday night I was at a party with a bunch of people [friends and people we didn't know] around the neighborhood of townhouses. We were at the far left of building A, in A1. At the end apartments [A7, A8 I think] a few are being worked on by contractors/construction during the weekdays. nobody lives in those units. Some of the guys wandered down near those units at the end of the building and saw that not only was the door open [had been left open since during the week], but a key-ring with a bunch of keys was left in the door. It appears that the contractors left the master keys to the townhouses in the door.

Out of concern, the realty company's emergency line was called and they called my wife back. They told my wife that she shouldn't worry, and there is no way someone could have made copies. My wife said they should replace the locks in the neighborhood and they said that wouldn't be necessary.
I didn't hear the conversation between them and the guy who found the keys, but I hear that they seemed concerned and were nice to him.
Yesterday, with the permission of the tenants [friends] living in other towhouses, the guy's wife tried the keys on other doors and they worked. This was not limited to the "A" building, but to at least two other buildings, including mine. When his wife told the realty company about this they said that they could press charges for breaking and entering, and the lady mentioned that she was good friends with the Chief of Police. This sounds to me like they are trying to use scare tactics to cover the tracks where they know they fucked up in a major case of negligence. I find it a bit odd that every time they talk to a woman, they are bitchy and intimidating but when a man talks to them, they are friendly and concerned. Does this sound predatory [especially in a military small-town]?

One of the other neighbors has talked to his Sergeant Major and apparently he was pissed. He also said something about talking to a lawyer. I am going to talk to him later on this evening, because I need to know what is up, and if I need to get more involved here. Does anyone here have any insight or criminal/realty experience as to my rights in this? This seems absolutely ridiculous, and a breach of my own personal safety and security.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I suspect that a charge of 'breaking and entering' requires both something broken, which wasn't the case, a key was used, and entering, which also wasn't done by the sounds of things, a lock was simply opened. Remember, IANAL, especially not in the USA, so checking with one can't hurt anything except your pocketbook.

FYI. The keys cannot be copied easily. Theoretically, any locksmith *could*, however, master keys are marked and nobody will copy them without a serious pain in the ass amount of paperwork.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Having a key to your apartment will let someone in a lot easier, but we all know that not having a key won't keep anyone out of your apartment if they want in.

As long as you or someone you know has the keys or gave them back to the contractors, you should be good to go. I am a contractor and I have numerous keys, but breaking into someone's house never crosses my mind. The guy that owns the keys is probably a very trustworthy guy although he may be a bit absent minded since he left them in a door.

Lovesick Siren

Ice Princess
Sep 30, 2005
Georgia
www.myspace.com
GrimJack;1181740 said:
FYI. The keys cannot be copied easily. Theoretically, any locksmith *could*, however, master keys are marked and nobody will copy them without a serious pain in the ass amount of paperwork.

The keys were most DEFINITELY not marked, which is the most concerning part (beyond the fact that a realty company would employ such negligent workers). Most keys like that say "do not duplicate," these looked like any other key to these apartments, save for the fact that there were many of them rather than just one.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Breaking and entering could still be used if you enter a person's home either walking thru the front door or breaking a window to get in. Either way you do not have to break anything to catch that charge and you can catch a trespassing charge at the same time depending how the officers day is going.

Most people feel women are push overs when it comes to some sort of verbal confrontation. If you live in town homes with fellow military personel then you should be good as everyone watches out for everyone in those communities and when you're deployed your neighbor could be bonking your wife while you're gone... Sucks but I see it happen too often...

But seriously i would speak with a laywer and possibly have the dead bolts changed or seek a lawyer to press the managment to change them all out themselves at their charge which it should be anyhow..