Leaking R154.... Help diagnose please!

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
So last night after a few hard runs I get this weird odor and notice that my R154 is leaking.
My first thought was that it was leaking from the rear tail shaft seal aka rear output shaft seal where the drive shaft meets the tranny.

Well come to find out that is not where its leaking from, at least from the looks because the u-joint there is dry.

It looks like it seems to be leaking from the side of the transmission. Looks like it favors the driver side more due to the fact that, that side is more wet.

Help me trace down this leak!

Thanks in advanced,

Lee

*** I have an sc300 with an R154 with tripod/cage ***

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be the top seal, abs sensor oring , speedo o ring. Reverse washer. Or the case.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
^^^ Top seal as in the seal for where the shifter assembly would normally go on a mk3 r154?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
86_sports_1jz;1904090 said:
Well come to find out that is not where its leaking from, at least from the looks because the u-joint there is dry.

I dont think a dry u-joint would eliminate an output shaft seal. Is there oil inside the cup at the end of the trans? Is there oil all over the body near the transmission?

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
There's is a little oil inside the cup. But mainly on the sides of the tranny. There's lots on the driveshaft underside of the body. Seems to be pooling by the tranny mount