LCA Removal question.

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
probably a stupid question but on replacing a lower control arm that has oem shock mounted to it. when I remove the LCA do I need to worry about the shock shooting out upon removal or anything or is the strut all attached at the top hat? or do I need to use a spring compressor before I remove the LCA? I worked on a older 60's car a few months ago and you have to support it all our use a compressor or the spring might fly so i'm paranoid now. haha. I'm thinking it'll just hang there and I dont need to worry about it being a strut/spring...

I plan on replacing the arm today and just wanted to make sure. am i just being paranoid and just go for it?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The strut assembly is all bolted together. Just remove the lower shock bolt and you can pull the lca off

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
I'm ready to bet you that the LCA removal will require cutting at least one of the DIN10 bolts that holds it to the subFrame ,because they will be seized in the bushing sleeve - good luck:)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Put a jack under the LCA, remove the sway bar endlink, remove the nut on the lower ball joint, and then lower it down. Remove the shock bolt and then you'll be able to get that bolt out without things trying to bind or kill you.

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
Thanks for help guys. wasn't exactly piece of cake but got it all done finally.

I appologize for posting this twice. my computer messed up, when i logged back on i checked for replys I didn't see the thread so i tried again.