KYB or Bilstein if you already have both.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have already got a full set of KYB GR-2 struts, and a full set of Bilstein f4-b46-1125 struts.

The bilstein's say they are made in Germany if thats important at all. Also they seem to be slightly adjustable. The have 3 different slectable heights each about 1/2cm apart.

I'm guessing the Bilstein's are the better choice but hoped for some input. Anyone run either of these sets, or even better both at some time or another. Handling differences etc?

The bilstein's also seem slightly heftier in weight and better built but I havn't really heard of them but I have heard of KYB.....

If you had both which would you put on your MKIII? I also have H&R springs all around too if that makes any diff at all in choice.

Thanks.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You know whats funny, I never realized these things were adjustable before this morning, LOL.

Kinda wondering why a shop switched me from them to KYB's way back when I was not doing my own car work. Glad I told them to give me the Bilsteins in a box though.

I tried to actually kill this post before it went but didn't catch it in time, did some searching and discovered what I need to know, But thanks, it's been super long since I drove on the Bilsteins and long since drove KYB so I had no possible frame of reference between the two anymore.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Keep the bilsteins, you have many more options with them compared to the KYB.
If you haven't heard of bilstein then you're probably living under a rock or you've never dealt with anything in regards to suspension before.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ya way back before I ever started my personal internal car knowledge quest I had noticed that the front right corner was sitting low, they told me it was due to struts failing and I needed to replace them all, so they sold me the KYB's. I now know that this would have nothing to do with a worn out strut. After reinstalling them I discovered that they had in fact set that corners strut to one setting lower than all the other corners. Don't know if it was deliberate or accidential. But now they are back on the car and all is good. Thanks guys.