kick down cable attachment in transission.

1933beer

Jul 24, 2016
Iowa, southwest
Hi I have a car that I purchased last spring 1987 NA. It had not ran for 4 years. the car had the engine pulled rebuilt and then sat back in many parts in the back. It took my son and I summer and fall to fix/ replace things to make it run again. Now the car is sitting during winter but spring will soon be here. Our next step is to make sure the tranny works.( test drive) The kick down cable was not attached. it was hard to connect into the tranny so we stuck it in so we could seal it up at least. ( it would leak when we started/ran the car.) I could not get it to hook where it was supposed to. In the TSRM AT 137 it shows connection the cable when the tranny is out with the bottom pan off. Is this the only way to connect this cable?

I have searched and it seams that most ae wanting to know what the cable does or how it connects to the engine. If there is a good thread that explains/ shows how please post

We will have to replace the rear tranny mount and the rear tranny seal. I would like to take care of all things related at the same time if I can. Is there a way to connect the cable from the top? If not what is the right way to remove the pan on the bottom of the tranny with out messing it up? (my other cars are all manuals by the way)
I also read a post that says that the car will down shift with out the cable but will cause more wear on the tranny.

thanks 1933beer and son

1933beer

Jul 24, 2016
Iowa, southwest
Sorry and thanks for the reply. I did not respond yesterday I had no power at home due to a storm ( 6 hours in the stone age because my phone was dead too). So now I know what I am looking at. I was hoping to not remove the pan. when I remove the pan will that be it? I mean will I be able to seethe connection? or d o I have to remove more as shown in the link?

The pan is like glued on, is there a good way to remove the pan without damaging it? while I am in there I will have to replace the filter.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Just gently start in the corners and work your way around the pan. My pan was also like superglue but I was able to pull it off with patience. Also if you do bent it slightly you can bent the tabs back once off of the car.

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL
FIPG material is tough to separate. Get a putty knife and start in the corner...