K20 civic vs 7M mk3

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Notice: This happened last night and there are no pics and no videos- you'll just have to trust me on this one. Combo kill!

I recently got my LIPP boss Sr 61mm turbo and fuel system installed onto my car, so Sean (funky_monkey58) and I were street tuning it to try and get rid of some irritating tip-in problems, as well as make sure the scaled map was working well.

We had just left a local hangout in Downtown and were headed back home when a Civic Si pulled up next to us. (It was a new body Civic, so it has a 172hp K20 stock, but this one was not showroom condition. Only mod that I could see was the exhaust. Standard issue ricer can, but I highly suspect there were other things going on with it.) He pulled up and revved his engine quite high and Sean said to "give 'em a little brake boost". I obliged and let my HKS ssqv speak for my car. He dropped a gear and started to pull and we were off. I went WOT and waited for the big turbo to come online...once it did I reeled him in and walked by, shifting into 4th during the pass. We did this several times and every time he kept up really well, which was impressive- I never ran away I was always just easing past. Finally a stoplight went red and we slowed to a stop. He revved again so we went from a dig. He, of course, jumped out very fast but the fact I haven't driven my car all that much really hurt me- I missed 3rd gear and it was all over. So in total I got 3 from a 60 roll, but he beat me from a dig.

I also raced an SRT-8 charger earlier that night and won twice, but he had 4 people in his car and I had 2 in mine, so I can't really call that a 'kill'

Not very exciting I would figure, but it was very fun for me- and one of the first race experiences with the new setup. Very fun!

Edit: Went downtown again to meet a couple friends and when we were leaving one of the guys that we were talking with decided to leave with us in his 350Z. Got onto the highway and he shot past, I followed and we got to the head of the pack. No cars anywhere (2am) so we went for it from 60. He had me on the launch but again- but once my turbo came online I reeled him in and creeped past. Stopped for some food at McD's and learned he had exhaust, an intake and a 100 shot of nitrous! He was also in a track edition Z, but I have nfi if that helped at all. By far the best fun I've had, made even better by the fact he used spray!

Last edited:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Those new body civics are 197hp from the factory, not just 170! It's awesome to hear your car is running and killing well. No little problems crop up since you got it working?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nothing huge, but I am having trouble keeping the boost in check. I have pulled my downpipe about 8 times this weekend, porting it out and opening up flow around the wastegate. Got it down to 16psi from 20, so I am making progress...

Edit: you wouldn't believe how fast that car was, for being a Civic, Emilio. Just unruly!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I have the boost under moderate control now, only running up to 15.5 psi and maintaining very rich AFR's for safety. Lot of timing is also pulled, again for safety. Raced a 350Z last night, far and away the best race I've been in!

attempting to embed the video of this race, may/may not work.
ok, not happening. will upload to youtube and link up tonight.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You have serious issues to deal with if you lost to that slow Honda. Or are you on low boost and trying to tune that first?

toyotanos;1576351 said:
I have the boost under moderate control now, only running up to 15.5 psi and maintaining very rich AFR's for safety. Lot of timing is also pulled, again for safety. Raced a 350Z last night, far and away the best race I've been in!

attempting to embed the video of this race, may/may not work.
ok, not happening. will upload to youtube and link up tonight.

Yep.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I have a dyno day set up for next Wednesday so we'll see what kind of power I am making, also get lots of that power back from timing and getting some proper AFR's.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
With that turbo you should be able to hit near 120 in the quarter. As opposed to his going 90ish down hill. With his 15.8 quarter.