It LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, it's not ready to run yet but after almost 3 years of work and numerous setbacks and obstackles my MKIII with a 2JZ swapped in started for the first time ever 5 minutes ago!

I'm so f**k'n happy!

No exhaust system to speak of, no IC piping yet, hell I don't even have a shifter in it as of yet or have I finished the wiring to the ecu either, but smack me sideways it freaking started.

So satisfying...........

So since I have never really done much of an introduction or anything athough I've been around a bit here we go.............

I'm the original owner of my MKIII 1990 Turbo/Targa. The winter before last after having my entire engine and supporting parts stolen for my 7m setup I decided to start over. But bigger and better, stronger.

My 7M setup wasn't weak or anything but I did feel a 2jz would give me better upgrade path options and better piece of mind. I had crap luck with my 7M in the form of 2 BHG (1 of them with a HKS MHG even), snapped my ct26 turbo shaft, ran lean and melted a hole through a piston under full boost, bent a rod when dragging due to my head not being retorqued properly when they rebuilt my motor a second time after leaving a big metal washer in my intake the first time around.

So while I collected together the funds, parts and researched my swap I stripped the entire car down to bare metal and removed every nut bolt screw and wire from the car.

Then I very carefully went through the entire body and doubled every spot weld in the entire car. Filled the frame with 2 part foam to further add stiffness and primed and painted it all with bright Porsche RED with a bright white under coat so it really glow in the sun. This is the very first car I have ever painted or done major body work too (see below). So I am more than happy with the results I got.

I vented the fenders and smoothed the stock 3 piece tail into the rear of the car and shaved my door handles off. I also have made my own clear moldings that are painted the same red on the backside. So they sorta "prism" in the sunlight but are of course still essentially red. I have also taken out the side markers and mounted LED lights into the moldings themselves to continue with keeping as smooth and clean of a look as possible.

For the engine I got an Aristo motor and tranny and did the 1jz to R154 thing.

I'm running 860cc injectors, a GT4088R, Vielside intake (yes it fits even though my ride is a LHD, theres a trick I came up with), 2.5" IC piping and large front IC of course. 3" Trust exhaust, 1 Piece Aluminium driveshaft, Lightweight flywheel and aftermarket crank pulley - damped. Fluidyne Rad.

And to run it all I am going to give AEM series 2 PNP a go and see what happens. I am also running the AEM meth injection kit. HKS 264 cams bothsides. Marlin crawler - all the bits they make. RPS pressure plate with ceramic 6 puck friction disk (ya, I doubt it'll hold), but it's gotta do for now.

H&R springs, Bilstein struts, MOMO idea mags 245's front, 285 rear. My own blend of strengthened trailing arms and energy bushings and mounts all round.

The motor core is essentially stock other than I upgraded to all arp hardware - flywheel, rods, mains, head and even camshaft bolts.

Tial 50mm BOV and 50MM wastegate. MKIV intank pump and Walbro inline high pressure pump to add additional support. Aero motive FPR and HKS fuel rail.

I also took the heavy steel front and rear bumpers and replaced them with dramtically lighter and strong stainless tubing fabs.

Both stock seats are not going back in and I have not yet chosen new seats, but I'm looking for something light also.

Well there ya go, here's a few pics to start, I'll add many more soon.

WoooHooo!

Attachments

• turbo_plumbing_midsection1.jpg
    turbo_plumbing_midsection1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 1432573_600.jpg
    1432573_600.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Garage_clean.jpg
    Garage_clean.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 79
  • turbo_frontshot.JPG
    turbo_frontshot.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 89

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
the body work looks really good i love that red i beat that saved you a lot of money in the end run...How many hours of body work did you have to do..?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The original striping to bare to final clear coat took just over 3 months. I had no-one to ask any questions to and this dramatically slowed my speed since I had to rely on the interweb for all my training/infos.

Unfortunately my first time around completion last only just a few hours till I was vandalized. The pics you see are fairly old. The paint isn't nearly as glass smooth on it now because honestly I got really sick of devoting almost 1/2 year to painting and wanted to get on with things.

Here's alot of pics I took during the paint portion from my streetfire page.

http://user.streetfire.net/profile/Flateric.htm

My profile video is really worth watching also. Supra and a Cosworth ripping around for 1/2 hour in Stockholm, great sound.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Flateric;1399471 said:
The original striping to bare to final clear coat took just over 3 months. I had no-one to ask any questions to and this dramatically slowed my speed since I had to rely on the interweb for all my training/infos.

Unfortunately my first time around completion last only just a few hours till I was vandalized. The pics you see are fairly old. The paint isn't nearly as glass smooth on it now because honestly I got really sick of devoting almost 1/2 year to painting and wanted to get on with things.

Here's alot of pics I took during the paint portion from my streetfire page.

http://user.streetfire.net/profile/Flateric.htm

My profile video is really worth watching also. Supra and a Cosworth ripping around for 1/2 hour in Stockholm, great sound.

yea i've been watching a lot of training videos on youtube and my dad has a gun and a air compressor and sander so i was thinking of giving it a shot to save some money on my build..i just have like 4 little dings on the whole body no rust anywere so im thinking it wouldnt be that bad of a learning experince for my 1st time......what videos did you watch...?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
dubsupra209;1399509 said:
yea i've been watching a lot of training videos on youtube and my dad has a gun and a air compressor and sander so i was thinking of giving it a shot to save some money on my build..i just have like 4 little dings on the whole body no rust anywere so im thinking it wouldnt be that bad of a learning experince for my 1st time......what videos did you watch...?

This is gonna sound exagerrated, but...........All of them! LOL All I could find anyways.

I can't say any one particular video tipped me over the edge to quality work, I did restart my front fenders like 3 times, trial and error. Just as you think you get the undercoat right then you screw up the topcoat and or then the clearcoat.

Don't rush anything and the biggest contributor to a quality final result was without a doubt a good line dryer for the compressed air so that you don't get artifacting. Only time I didn't need a line dryer was when it was -43c here and dryer then all hell. I have a heated garage thank god.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Flateric;1399517 said:
This is gonna sound exagerrated, but...........All of them! LOL All I could find anyways.

I can't say any one particular video tipped me over the edge to quality work, I did restart my front fenders like 3 times, trial and error. Just as you think you get the undercoat right then you screw up the topcoat and or then the clearcoat.

Don't rush anything and the biggest contributor to a quality final result was without a doubt a good line dryer for the compressed air so that you don't get artifacting. Only time I didn't need a line dryer was when it was -43c here and dryer then all hell. I have a heated garage thank god.

yea i have been watching almost all of them...this might sound like a dumb question but you take off your bumpers and fenders to..? my dads shop has insulation but we have a propane heater its pretty big we have 2 actually..thank fully we dont even see close to below zero at all.... :biglaugh:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
dubsupra209;1399527 said:
yea i have been watching almost all of them...this might sound like a dumb question but you take off your bumpers and fenders to..? my dads shop has insulation but we have a propane heater its pretty big we have 2 actually..thank fully we dont even see close to below zero at all.... :biglaugh:

Yup, the fenders and bumpers came off as well, here's a link to pics of the paint in progress for ya.

http://photos.streetfire.net/album/Begining-to-paint-the_1422983.htm

Bri-Guy

rebuilding it properly
Oct 13, 2007
South Calgary
Flateric;1399471 said:

Cool build. Look forward to seeing it come to completion. I've seen that video. Really cool.

sirgeorgee

Mar 3, 2008
Hungary
Beautiful...

Was it a misunderstanding or you are really the first and only owner of this sweatheart?

If yes , would you be so kind to tell us a short story ,how did the purchase happened back in 1990?
I am really interested....

Keep up the good work

The color is really sweet-Congratulations :naughty:

P.S.: If I misunderstood something then sorry....