IS300 with 2jz-gte (vvti swap) Problem (CEL)

wajouba

Jul 18, 2007
Saudi Arabia
I bought the car, with the following:

IS300:
Engine: 2jz-gte (vvti)
Gearbox: A650E
Turbo: Single Turbonetics
Tuning: SAFC-II
ECU: IS300 N/A

The problem am facing, is a Check engine light!

It turns on randomly, not after any specific action... (Full throttle, standing by, crusing, anything!)

It will not turn off by itself, unless ofcourse I reset the ECU, by unplugging the battery...

What happens when CEL is on:
Car starts to stutter, somestimes to the extent that it ain't drivable anymore, and sometimes you bearly notice the stutter, the last time the CEL came on, it didn't stutter at all... (If it starts to stutter, it gets worse, to the extent that you can bearly launch!)

First step obviously is to check for the CEL, and whats the fault, that will be done today. but I just made this thread so that anyone who has experienced something similar, with the same symptoms can share it with us...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Checking the codes would make diag much easier.

So it always happens at random? Like in boost, then next time at idle, etc.?

Also you can reset the ecu by removing the efi fuse for 30 sec. Much easier and you dont lose radio presets and all that junk.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
wajouba;1739059 said:
I bought the car, with the following:

IS300:
Engine: 2jz-gte (vvti)
Gearbox: A650E
Turbo: Single Turbonetics
Tuning: SAFC-II
ECU: IS300 N/A

The problem am facing, is a Check engine light!

It turns on randomly, not after any specific action... (Full throttle, standing by, crusing, anything!)

It will not turn off by itself, unless ofcourse I reset the ECU, by unplugging the battery...

What happens when CEL is on:
Car starts to stutter, somestimes to the extent that it ain't drivable anymore, and sometimes you bearly notice the stutter, the last time the CEL came on, it didn't stutter at all... (If it starts to stutter, it gets worse, to the extent that you can bearly launch!)

First step obviously is to check for the CEL, and whats the fault, that will be done today. but I just made this thread so that anyone who has experienced something similar, with the same symptoms can share it with us...

First, the SAFC will not work well with the ECU. After the ECU is reset, the stock IS300 ecu will eventually relearn and give you the CEL again. Your best bet is to run an AEM EMS for the IS300. That will allow to use the 5 Speed auto along with the VVTi 2jzgte. The Factory ECU for the IS300 is picky. Even after tuning it will fight the SAFC and make changes to the tune.

wajouba

Jul 18, 2007
Saudi Arabia
soapra;1739165 said:
First, the SAFC will not work well with the ECU. After the ECU is reset, the stock IS300 ecu will eventually relearn and give you the CEL again. Your best bet is to run an AEM EMS for the IS300. That will allow to use the 5 Speed auto along with the VVTi 2jzgte. The Factory ECU for the IS300 is picky. Even after tuning it will fight the SAFC and make changes to the tune.

I realized that the ECU is fighting back the SAFC! but I think I'm going with other things before even thinking of going to a standalone. But am going Manual very soon since R154's in my home country are very cheap. its true they will need the 1jz's bellhousing but it still turns out to be very cheap than modifying the peace of crap that I have now (A650E).

Justin727

T-virus infected
I know I'm a few days late. Sorry.. There's a few guys running AEM FIC with success... If you can find a Turboeast "black box" that keeps the ecu from learning what's going on.. It's an OBDII thing.. Also what did you do with the O2 sensors?

wajouba

Jul 18, 2007
Saudi Arabia
I honestly bought the car like this... so I'm still trying to figure out the little details...

I figured out something weird... when I unplug the battery, and turn the car on, it runs beautifuly! just perfect... I turn the car off and then back on it works perfect 10 mins into the drive... the it starts to stutter...

But if I start it right after a battery unplug... it will never stutter even if I drive it for 3 hours in a row, its like the ecu dosn't learn from the first time, it doesnt fight the safc back from the first time, it only learns the second time I turn it on and want to go for a drive... I tried it and tested it over 10 times... always worked... so I think to me its confirmed!

I'm looking into the AEM FIC, and I'm looking into finding my CEL. but my time is just very tight now, since I'm changing positions in my company, and I got new duties now :(

Justin727

T-virus infected
When you get some time try to pull the codes. Curious to see what codes it has as it maybe something simple.

As far as it fighting back. Try to find a Turbo East black box (used of course). The company is out of business as far as I know but I see a used one from time to time pop up on the IS forums. The black box resets the ecu every time the car shuts off so it won't fight back against the SAFC.

Good luck

wajouba

Jul 18, 2007
Saudi Arabia
Justin727;1741392 said:
When you get some time try to pull the codes. Curious to see what codes it has as it maybe something simple.

As far as it fighting back. Try to find a Turbo East black box (used of course). The company is out of business as far as I know but I see a used one from time to time pop up on the IS forums. The black box resets the ecu every time the car shuts off so it won't fight back against the SAFC.

Good luck

Thanks bro for the help, I really appriciate it, but I believe am going to try and do a replay on the fuse of the ECU, easier and you know what you did, not something you just know that works...

what do you think?

anyone did this before? chim in guys...

this is much cheaper and functional for all of us that are trying to break the vvti system with a hammer :p lol

wajouba

Jul 18, 2007
Saudi Arabia
Ok, I finally did it and checked the codes:

it said I had 2 codes 1 was: Bank 1 too rich, code P0172

Code 2 kept pending and wouldn't show...

Justin727

T-virus infected
wajouba;1744251 said:
New codes...

P0300
P0301 cyl 1 missfire
P0302 cyl 2 missfire

lexus says to check plugs, wires, and coils first. Then you will have to get further into electrical diag.

EDIT: this may all also stem from a faulty O2 sensor but usually they just code the faulty sensor. How many O2 sensors do you have?

wajouba

Jul 18, 2007
Saudi Arabia
This is a very old post, and I was off for a long time, since my car got stolen :(
It was recovered 7KM's later in an accident, the dumb idiot probably didn't know it was fast since my single turbo is laggy, so it took him by surprise and he skid into a light pole!

its on its final days of being fixed and will hopefully be out soon.

Thanks for all your help JUSTIN727, I will be back with some questions again soon :D

Justin727

T-virus infected
wajouba;1809892 said:
This is a very old post, and I was off for a long time, since my car got stolen :(
It was recovered 7KM's later in an accident, the dumb idiot probably didn't know it was fast since my single turbo is laggy, so it took him by surprise and he skid into a light pole!

its on its final days of being fixed and will hopefully be out soon.

Thanks for all your help JUSTIN727, I will be back with some questions again soon :D

Sorry to hear about your car being stolen. At least it's being fixed!!! You're welcome my friend and I'm looking forward to talking to you again in the future! :)