IS300 (2JZ-GE) Cold Start Rattle/Knock

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Hey guys,

In case any of you didn't know I purchased a certified used IS300 to replace my Prelude as the daily driver. I'm loving the car so far except for a sound that has me a little worried.

When cold started (sat for at least a few hours) I get a slight rattle/knocking for about a second right after startup. It does NOT sound like a typical rod knock, it's more of a slight rattle. I can barely hear it inside the car with the door closed, but it is a little more distinct when leaving the window or door open while starting. The noise directly coincides with the oil pressure light on the dash, and it goes away as soon as the light goes out. It runs absolutely perfect thereafter. Honestly I doubt most drivers would even hear the noise but I'm very in-tune with my car and I don't think something is quite right.

The car only has ~66,000 miles on it. I'm thinking that somehow the engine has lost its oil prime after sitting for a few hours, starving the bottom end for oil for a split second. The problem is, I don't know why. I'm going to pick up another oil filter today (NAPA gold) and swap it out just in case the current one has a defective anti drain back valve (it currently has an OEM toyota/lexus filter installed by the dealer). What else would cause a noise like this? If it is the engine losing it's oil prime, what else could cause it to lose it?

I bought the car certified used so if the new filter doesn't resolve anything I'm going to schedule an appointment at the dealer. Problem is, I have a feeling they are going to say "it's normal" and not do anything about it. I'm also planning on taking an oil sample when I change the oil and sending it to blackstone for an analysis. That should tell me if the main/rod bearings are wearing abnormally, and if so maybe it will be some leverage to get the dealer to fix it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Rattles could come from the shims going out of spec in the head. That is not really likely at 66,000 miles but no impossible. Poor maintanece and lack of oil changes can lead to things like this.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Pretty much every car i have driven has done this, has a slight rattle/knock up until oil pressure is achieved and then goes silent. In fact, a friend of mine started up his 2jz MK4 supra and i heard the exact same thing. If the new oil filter doesn't change anything, i would not personally be worried, but it seems like other lexus owners have experienced the same and there might be some sort of recall? Worth checking out.
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=48208

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
IBoughtASupra;1584891 said:
Rattles could come from the shims going out of spec in the head. That is not really likely at 66,000 miles but no impossible. Poor maintanece and lack of oil changes can lead to things like this.

It sounds like it's bottom end to me, but I'll see if I can track it down to the head. This car has been dealer maintained since new, and brought in for every scheduled maintenance (verified by both carfax and lexus histories) so I'm sure it's been taken car of mechanically. I also have over 2,000 miles on it since the last oil change and it's still a nice golden yellow, which tells me it's nice and clean inside and the oil changes have been kept up with.

CyFi6;1584919 said:
Pretty much every car i have driven has done this, has a slight rattle/knock up until oil pressure is achieved and then goes silent. In fact, a friend of mine started up his 2jz MK4 supra and i heard the exact same thing. If the new oil filter doesn't change anything, i would not personally be worried, but it seems like other lexus owners have experienced the same and there might be some sort of recall? Worth checking out.
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=48208

^^ That recall is only on the V6 engines in the new IS250/IS350s. I've done some extensive searching and can't find much at all about bottom-end issues w/ the 2JZ. In fact that's why I picked up the IS300 since it has a very good track record. There are some annoying issues with the new ones.

It may just be me; I tend to be VERY picky with my cars and I pick up on any and all noises ;). I've listened so some co-workers cars starting after a full day at work and I hear some slight knocking/rattling (but you have to listen very closely). I'll try and get a video, just so it's obvious what I'm hearing. Thanks for the replies so far.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Here is a video of the sound. Every now and then it starts fine, but the sound is still a little worrisome. Notice the direct correlation to the oil light.

[video=youtube;Hwsdqtv1KXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwsdqtv1KXo[/video]