Is this assumption correct?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I've been dealing with a high idle for a loooong while now. Its now preventing me from properly timing the ignition so i really need to focus on it.

CEL: 51

Read up on it. For awhile i didn't think it was my TPS since it was new and read proper voltage when i first installed it. So just today i swapped ISC's with a buddies whose definately works properly. My idle actually worsened :nono:

So this takes me back to TPS or bad wiring.

I just checked my voltage output again, for closed and WOT via SAFCII.

Closed ~ .760V
Open ~ 3.79V

So one, i know, i need to get the open up to at least 4volts for WOT. BUT, apparently the TPS already isn't making contact with the IDL contact, so by turning the TPS in order to up the top end voltage above 4V, wouldn't this take it even further away from the IDL contact? or no?

FYI, i don't know where or how the IDL contact looks and its dark so im just trying to prepare myself for when i do crack everything open.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Nick M;922200 said:
The backyard way is to loosen the bolts and turn it very slow until the 51 blinking stops.

understood, but you still need to maintain proper voltage ranges so the computer knows where full throttle is or isn't, at least thats how i read the TSRM (page FI-34)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't think so, mine is less than that at WOT, although not by much, and lower than that at idle, too.

Try the method of setting it where the code 51 stops and see if the idle fixes itself, I'm willing to bet it will.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
GrimJack;922527 said:
I don't think so, mine is less than that at WOT, although not by much, and lower than that at idle, too.

Try the method of setting it where the code 51 stops and see if the idle fixes itself, I'm willing to bet it will.

I will try this tom and see what happens, but don't the readings from the TPS need to be between 0,1-1V closed and 4-5V WOT? Otherwise, will the ECU not give proper fuel amounts? I could be wrong and having an SAFCII may change results but im just going per TSRM specs....?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i always found it easiest to go to the junkyard, grab the connector and about 6 inches of extra wire from another supra TPS, pull your connector, put on the new one with stripped ends, and adjust that way using a multimeter with alligator clips.

works like a charm, every time. (and no need to remove the throttlebody) i don't even use the stock TPS anymore, but i keep the spare connector for that very reason. ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IwantMKIII;922207 said:
understood, but you still need to maintain proper voltage ranges so the computer knows where full throttle is or isn't, at least thats how i read the TSRM (page FI-34)

Nope. You don't set WOT voltage. Not on any car I know of in fact. It is always the idle voltage.