is it worth the effort to remove the OEM sound deadner?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I removed one small section of the OEM sound deadner in the hatch area and it took me about an hour. After looking at the OEM stuff, I found that it was twice as thick as the B-Quiet ound deadner I'm putting in and seemed to be just as effective as what I'm replacing it with.

My question it, should I pull it out just to replace it with the B-Quiet? Seems pointless to me, so my thought is to lay the B-Quiet around the OEM and then put another layer over the OEM. Thoughts on this?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ.;1657547 said:
Unless it's broken/cracked/flaking I leave it be, AU delivered cars got double the Mats on the floorpan so are damn quiet inside :)

exactly what I was thinking Ian, seemed to be pointless......

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
I don't know anything, so please don't infract my arse but...Wouldn't it, under theory save a decent amount of weight? And if the b-quiet is, well....quiet...why not rip out the heavy, thick factory material in favor of something just as purpose-serving, and more conservative in pounds?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1657547 said:
Unless it's broken/cracked/flaking I leave it be, AU delivered cars got double the Mats on the floorpan so are damn quiet inside :)
Sounds like my old 88, you lucky bastards...

91blackeye;1657836 said:
I don't know anything, so please don't infract my arse but...Wouldn't it, under theory save a decent amount of weight? And if the b-quiet is, well....quiet...why not rip out the heavy, thick factory material in favor of something just as purpose-serving, and more conservative in pounds?
I wouldn't remove the factory stuff if it's already in place, I'll take an extra 20lbs of sound deadening to my car in place of a droning headache. ;)

To the OP, I would leave it in if it's already in place, if it's the original stuff, it should do quite well at deadening sound. A test I used to do with my 88 was to CRANK the stereo, to the point that you couldn't hear anyone talking/screaming, then shut all the doors and windows. If you had the engine on (stock exhaust n/a), you couldn't even tell that the stereo was even ON. This was with a 10" sub that would liven up the music a good bit too, so it's not like it wasn't trying, a good Supra is just that well isolated. :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mark, I left mine in place and added a bunch of extra. That's one of the reasons my car weighs as much as most UPS trucks.............lol

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
I took out the sound deadening in the hatch, rear seats and under the carpet in both front seats. It ended up weighing about 65 pounds. Up to you if you want to weight less or you wanna hear less.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Wow you saved a whole 65lbs.... :nono: (not even a medium dog)

Beauty of Turbo motors is +.5 psi is going to easily outstrip any gains from saving weight...

GT car NOT a Sportscar...

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
People have said taking off 100lbs is about .1 off quarter mile time, if that's true not worth it at all. I hate how loud my car is inside

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
Regardless of the "negligible" benefits, that 65lbs along with other deletes quickly adds up.

Aftermarket front seats and rear seat delete also contribute to that total.

If you can remove enough weight from the car to displace even the weight of the driver, then thats worth doing IMO.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
RockPaperSwoRD;1658407 said:
Regardless of the "negligible" benefits, that 65lbs along with other deletes quickly adds up.

Aftermarket front seats and rear seat delete also contribute to that total.

If you can remove enough weight from the car to displace even the weight of the driver, then thats worth doing IMO.

All depends on what you're after. Most people who choose to buy a torque-monster, luxury, gt turbo sports car will be ok with a few extra pounds. If you were trying for a light, stripped car then I'd say a 240 or rx7 would be a better choice.

HOWEVER... I do very much agree with the *quality* after market seats. I would love a set of good after market seats that save ~100 lbs. Although finding a set that reclines, and is as comfortable and safe as the factory seats would not be cheap... Realistically I'd spend the money on some small power mods to make an extra 20 hp to cover the difference in weigh. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another thing to consider gentlemen, is the fact that you're removing weight from the middle of the car. Not exactly the ideal place to remove weight from...

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I wouldn't remove anything except maybe what's on the floor boards since it's filled with what looks like under-carpeting. Not really sure why Toyota did this. Because they are always cracked and internally saturated with 20 years of nastiness. I'd either leave them alone or remove them. But never sound deaden over them.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
All my stuff sound deadener came off rather easily, there were a few spots that didnt and if the whole car was that way I'd definitely just leave it and apply overtop of it. Still that stock undercarpet shit on the front floor that another buddy mentioned is disgusting and is getting thrown the hell out.

Which level of B-quiet did you get? Impressions?

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
Personal opinion... remove it... if anything just to verify you are rust free, then seal it with appliance epoxy. (Its) the same coating they use on refrigerators to get that tough wrinkle finish, don’t just primer it since primer is porous, you need to seal it!
p1661388_1.jpg

p1661388_2.jpg

p1661388_3.jpg

p1661388_4.jpg

I had a leak in my clutch master cyl, had oil saturated floor carpet, under padding and sound deadener. When I was laying under the dash to service the fuse block in the driver side kick panel I had to remove the seat and carpet to fit under there comfortably. wile it was out I figured id check the floors for rust since the targa seal was in bad need of replacement. use dry ice and a hammer the stuff shatters like a potato chip

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I chose to leave the stock SD in place. It wasn't crack and it looked to be in great condition. Also, I'm certain that there is no rust. All exposed metal (to include the depressed areas around the drain plugs) had no signs of rust. Not even surface rust.

I put in two layers of B-quiet throughout the car, three layers in the hatch area. I have the carpet back in and I drove it down the interstate a few minutes ago, and it's a different car. It's a ton quieter, and other than the sound of the exhaust and the occasional stiff jar from big bumps, it's *almost* as quiet as my wife's '09 Navigator.

I guess I'm a Supra purist, I want to a true GT car. My car has more than enough power for me, but if I add enough weight to notice, I can always raise my boost from 17psi to 20psi and it will make up for it in a big way. I think I made the right choice.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

suprahero;1657979 said:
Mark, I left mine in place and added a bunch of extra. That's one of the reasons my car weighs as much as most UPS trucks.............lol

LOL, I have a 67mm turbo that's only pushing 17psi. I'm not worried about a few extra pounds ;)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Personally i would leave the sound deadening in it. I hate droney cars, and the only reason I would remove it is to save weight. Since its so easy to make power to displace that weight, the only reason to remove it is to improve handling.

and the supra already handles pretty good for its size. Its the best handling car ive drivin.. but i havent drivin that many cars.. sooo yeah.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not even really worth the effort to remove it to save weight... take a crap before you drive, get about the same result.