Ipod touch /Iphone question

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Do these devices get viruses like anything else, while browsing the internet? Also, will a virus one contracts while using Wi-Fi affect computers connected to the same router? How about transferring the virus while synced to the computer? I recently got one in a trade for a Nissan motor I really wanted gone, and my 2 sons got these for their birthdays. I just know very little about how a computer and all the gadgets work.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
The hubby had his iphone for over 6 months now.

He works in road construction so in summer he is out of town in areas with no cell coverage and minimal internet coverage. His iphone works great. Picks up most wifi systems and the like. It was so good up north (Yukon/ BC border) this year that his boss was actually contemplating trading his crackberry for an iphone.

What I am trying to say is that he uses the internet alot, whether it is 3G or wifi of any kind. We have had no issues whatsoever when connecting the phone to the computer, moving files around, updating the software etc.

So yeah... no viruses here coming from the iphone.. At least we have never noticed anything.

Dunno if that helps.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
First of all, its an apple device, so viruses are generally not an issue. No open source coding, I believe.

Second, I work with those and have never heard of anyone contracting a virus with an itouch/iphone.

Sure, they go wrong all the time, but its generally not from any virus. Tell them to be extremely careful with them...

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
You can hack someone's iPhone.
I believe AT&T uses the same two passwords at the root level. If you know what you are doing, you can ruin someone's day by scanning for an iPhone and doing as you please. Starbucks coffee shop? Jackpot.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
drunk_medic;1208435 said:
You can hack someone's iPhone.
I believe AT&T uses the same two passwords at the root level. If you know what you are doing, you can ruin someone's day by scanning for an iPhone and doing as you please. Starbucks coffee shop? Jackpot.

yeah, but they need to have their wifi enabled.. and you need to know their IP in that Wifi network.

Ive had no problems with mine. Seems to get slower and slower if you dont do full wipes while upgrading firmware.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
no problems with mine for about a year. now that i have jailbroken it (not unlocked yet) theres alot you can do with it. there havent been any reports of virus attacks yet for iphones that are still "locked" and since you can only install genuine apps the threat would be small.

for wifi there is a greater risk but honestly a better target would be someones laptop over a wireless connection i would think

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
suprarx7nut;1208355 said:
First of all, its an apple device, so viruses are generally not an issue. No open source coding, I believe.

Are you trying to imply that Open Source Software is less secure than proprietary, specifically, Apple software?

Furthermore, traditional viruses are not compiled for the iPhone so they will not infect it. That does not mean that someone could not mess up your system, but it won't happen from just browsing the internet.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
bowsercake;1208797 said:
Are you trying to imply that Open Source Software is less secure than proprietary, specifically, Apple software?

No, not necessarily. I dont know if it is or not, but Apple's tend to fair better when it comes to contracting viruses. Correct? I mean I really dont like Apple as a company and their shit breaks plenty, but I've never dealt with a customer who had an infected apple device. ...ever.

My small comment about Open Source was that I am under the impression that because apple's software is not open source, it does not invite viruses. I realize open source can be plenty secure and that that is not the sole reason for Apple's being less affected by viruses.

Furthermore, traditional viruses are not compiled for the iPhone so they will not infect it. That does not mean that someone could not mess up your system, but it won't happen from just browsing the internet.

That was really my point.