Interest in auto-x/track forum??

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
alloyguitar said:
I'd love to auto-x. but I live outside of knoxville and I don't know of a track around here...

...bummer

You just missed the Commonwealth games, which includes a two day auto-x as part of the events. This was in Danville, VA which might be the closest venue for you. Might want to check the NC area clubs as well I think they might run at Danville Airport sometime.

NA86.5

NA-T Complete Yo
Jan 20, 2006
Alice Tx
I autocross with the stbrscca down here in south texas i dont except to win being that my car is na and heavy i just want to have fun.:biglaugh:

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Don't listen to the haters. (no offense Adam, just hecklin' ya)
Yes the mk3 is heavy but my take on it is this (I still consider myself a novice so take this is FWIW)
I see it as being 75% driver, 15% tires, and 10% vehicle. The mk3 is capable and yes it's outclassed but I think it can be competitive (at least that's my goal to prove) At my last event I placed 2/6 in my class. I was a second out of first to someone on R-compounds and beat two others with dedicated tires by a second. All of these drivers have been competing much longer than me and my 5 y/o dunlop SP6000's. I'll let yall know how it goes when I make the switch to good tires next season.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
heh. no offense taken!

it really depends on what class you're in, but i'd probably put it more @ 50/25/25. the key for the MKIII is preparing the car for the course- short course autox requires a high ratio diff- when i ran a 4.30, i was top 5; when i ran a 3.73, i wasn't ranked. also really depends on the competition too....the fact of the matter really and truly is that the MKIII will never be competitive.....some of us are just too stupid to figure that out (myself included).

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
That's the way to look at it (with rose colored glasses) you're out there to have fun and see what it can do. I've been looking into a second car for a dedicated track vehicle because the mk3 is outclassed and too heavy for me to eventually tow. I'll have to try to lower ratio before long, I've got the stock one in which is fine by me but like I said I don't have the extra traction to take use of yet. We have a few national champs locally and even more competitors of that level. While I can't come close to them yet, I'm going to make every effort to try. ;)

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
They've definitely got you in the wrong class man. (Unless you're driving a mk4 turbo) The N/A mk3, turbo mk3 and N/A mk4 all go to ESP in street prepared. I was considering trying to find a N/A mk4 for that reason. This puts you almost right on with the PAX of BS (stock 350z) which seems reasonable from the ones I've run against.