intake manifold question

suprakid93

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Sterling IL
Ok so ive been looking for a FFIM for my 7mgte but there so expensive. Look great too. But i was wondering if a 1JZ intake manifold will fit on a 7m. Or how much you have to change to make it fit.
Thanks
AJ

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Completely different. Welding between the two can be done, but it's not easy.

First off, there is no way to cut both manifolds and have the holes match up... so you're looking at some serious fab work.

Furthermore, while cutting cast aluminum isn't very difficult, welding it is.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I'm going to go out to my garage and take pictures of the 7M and 2J intake and post it up and hopefully it will be made a sticky so I never have to see this stupid question again. Wishful thinking I know.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
ok... so because of not being able to use a FFIM what intake upgrades would make the original 7m-gte intake really perform?

Are there any throttle body upgrades and AFM upgrades (heard a lexus 4.0v8 AFM will help) that would make that intake work better?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
The Lexus AFM does not increase the intake's performance. It is needed when you are running higher boost levels (generally with an upgraded turbo) because the stock AFM cannot measure the increased volume of air, therefore you need the lexus AFM because it can read that higher volume.

Intakes are not as critical on a turbo car as they are on an n/a. Do they help? Yes, when you are talking about big turbos where every ounce of efficiency in needed. If you are on a stock turbo, or an upgraded stock size turbo it really makes no difference. Make sure your piping is in good shape and the stock intake will treat you right well into the 500 wheel mark.