Installing an amp, tips?

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I wouldn't use speaker wire to temporarily power the amp. However if you used 3-4 lengths of speaker wire together to make 1 bigger wire that would give you enough to hook it up temporarily.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
OK, thanks. I will keep a close eye on the cable to make sure it doesn't get warm.

LOL. that's funny. and no worries i take responsibility for any and all consequenses rendered by this test.

I'll have to wait a while though...it froze last night and my porch is 32.8 degrees. it's only 56.7 in my house and i cant feel my fingers. i dont like working on cars with cold fingers.

edit:

if worst comes to worst and i cant get speaker wire from around the house to do this, can i use a cable designed to handle 120 volts AC? my dad has some extra cable from when we wired the garage's power...

i'm not familliar enough to say for certain so i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask first.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Household or industrial wire will 'work'. That doesn't mean you should do it. I know you want to do this on the cheap but don't skimp on wires or fuses. You NEED an inline fuse or some sort of fuse near the connection on the battery. 30-40 amp should be fine. A local hardware store might have them. I know Wal-Mart does. I believe they carry wiring kits too.

Figit090;887952 said:
I'll have to wait a while though...it froze last night and my porch is 32.8 degrees. it's only 56.7 in my house and i cant feel my fingers. i dont like working on cars with cold fingers.
Hey Anthony, good thing he doesn't live up here, I had a minus 17c/ 1f last night.

Figit090: LOL... All this reminds me of when my dad used to try and give me advice and his experiences so that I could avoid any issues, but as with most, I had to find out myself and went ahead and tried it... only to confirm what my dad had said...lol. Good luck with your install and report back what you find.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
To clarify, if it's the rigid type of wire..no, if it's pliable and has many small strands, it might be ok. Best bet is buy automotive 8 gauge.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Hey Edmund! It's been pretty mild here for the last week or so, but about a week ago we hit -22c. In other words, it was minus OH MY GOD!!! lol