Installing aftermarket cd player

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hey you guys I am installing an aftermarket radio into my car and was wondering what adapter you use for our antenna? I know that in my car there are two antenna lines, one smaller and one larger. Neither seem to work when hooked up to an aftermarket radio, and neither fit correctly. Does anyone know where to purchase an adapter or how to make the factory antenna work with an aftermarket cd player?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Both antenna lines should work fine. If they don't, chances are there is something wrong with your wiring... was the antenna extended when you tried it?

A simple GM mini plug adapter will make the small one fit. The small one uses the antenna built into the rear hatch glass.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
We have 2 antenna wires? Wow I didnt know that. But as grim said the mini plug will allow it to fit.

PS. Dude its freaking scary how close our cars look alike.
p1554619_1.jpg

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Wow that is scary!!! We basically have clone cars. LOL The only problem is that the california sun has fried my paint. How is yours holding up with this color? Im saving up to have mine repainted as soon as possible. Return it to its factory color of course :) Also, what do you mean both should work? Because my aftermarket head unit seems to have only one plug for antenna. And the mini one is too small to plug into it. The larger seems to fit ok, but no signal. I must be doing this wrong.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

WOW I have to say I love the way my car looks :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
BigKO;1554658 said:
Wow that is scary!!! We basically have clone cars. LOL The only problem is that the california sun has fried my paint. How is yours holding up with this color? Im saving up to have mine repainted as soon as possible. Return it to its factory color of course :) Also, what do you mean both should work? Because my aftermarket head unit seems to have only one plug for antenna. And the mini one is too small to plug into it. The larger seems to fit ok, but no signal. I must be doing this wrong.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

WOW I have to say I love the way my car looks :)

What I mean is that either wire should get you a good signal. You'll have to use the adapter on the small one to make it fit an aftermarket head unit, however.

And you'll get a crappy signal off the large one if the antenna wasn't up at the time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Weird, people still listen to radio? Huh... must be better when you don't live in the cowboy state.

That said, I didn't know we had an antenna built into the hatch glass. Is it the same thing as the defroster grid lines?

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
ehh, what the hell its cheap enough so why not. And that is the correct gm mini adapter correct? (ordering tomorrow or so..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
As I recall, Toyota put in some fancy electronics to determine which antenna signal to use. Far more complex than a simple splitter like the one you linked to. I don't know what the reasoning behind that was, however, knowing Toyota, there was some thought put into it.

Personally, I've never hooked up both. On my 7M car, I use the retractable power antenna. On my 2J car, I use the hatch glass antenna. I get great signal in both cars, so I've never worried about it.

I'm not sure buying off ebay is neccesary... I've never found a car stereo install bay that *doesn't* have a shitload of these, and I'm pretty sure I've never paid over $5 for one. You should literally be able to walk into any car stereo shop and ask the installers for one, they'll probably trade you straight across for a hot dog and a red bull.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
HAHA cool thanks guys. Yeah I have no idea why the larger port didnt work with my head unit before, I'll get the adapter and try the mini plug. Thanks for your help guys. I might just try the splitter anyway to see what happens. What im thinking is that as you say, Toyota uses their fancy electronics to switch between the two to receive the best signal. If it is a switching process and now both at the same time I think the splitter will work well because it will allow the headunit to receive witchever one it is switched to at the time. Of course this is assuming that the switching process is done by something other than the actual stock toyota head unit.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
wow, broadcast radio still exsists?

i have not bothered to hook up an antenna in any install ive done in several years!

what could your local hip-hop station possibly add to your life? the school lunch menu in the morning?

btw, im sure your local wal-mart has ehe adaptors in stock for a couple of bucks too

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
GrimJack;1555809 said:
As I recall, Toyota put in some fancy electronics to determine which antenna signal to use. Far more complex than a simple splitter like the one you linked to. I don't know what the reasoning behind that was, however, knowing Toyota, there was some thought put into it.

Personally, I've never hooked up both. On my 7M car, I use the retractable power antenna. On my 2J car, I use the hatch glass antenna. I get great signal in both cars, so I've never worried about it.

I'm not sure buying off ebay is neccesary... I've never found a car stereo install bay that *doesn't* have a shitload of these, and I'm pretty sure I've never paid over $5 for one. You should literally be able to walk into any car stereo shop and ask the installers for one, they'll probably trade you straight across for a hot dog and a red bull.
So since I'm getting a really garbage signal would that mean that the headunit isnt properly switching over to the antenna thats getting the better signal?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Hm, possibly the connector to the secondary antenna, as it worked for a little while after I tore out the interior the first time, must have fidgeted something.