in What do you think of my setup and any suggestions?

o.g.

Feb 24, 2011
League City, Tx
Hello everyone. Newbie to the Supra World here. I got an 1987 Supra Turbo roughly a month ago and I'm about to dig into it! Rather than do the norm and do all the engine mods, drivetrain, etc. I'm taking a route that worked well with my other cars. Suspension first. With that being said, here is what I have so far and I wanted a few opinions and suggestions. I have the following:

Koni Yellows
ST Springs
Suspension Techniques Sway Bars

I plan in the future to get those Beech Rear suspension trail arm kit (all 6 pcs). My question is what else would I need? Poly bushings subframe bushings? I figure if you do it right the first time, you shouldn't have to worry about it for another decade. Anything I'm missing that someone else would do. Also, this might be a dumb question, but what is ST stand for? I got my springs off Suprasport and I purchased the ST since they had a linear spring, Not the Suspension Techniques. I see others mention ST. Anyway, let me know. Thanks

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I thought the ST springs were suspension techniques springs. As for any additional modifications I would just recommend getting the polyurethan bushings and making sure all of the adjustment bolts are free before you get it aligned. That is a good setup to have some fun on without breaking the bank. Also you may want to consider getting some aftermarket end links and reinforcing the rear toe link sway bar mounts. These are common mods and can be found via searching the forum.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
supraguru05;1705664 said:
I thought the ST springs were suspension techniques springs. As for any additional modifications I would just recommend getting the polyurethan bushings and making sure all of the adjustment bolts are free before you get it aligned. That is a good setup to have some fun on without breaking the bank. Also you may want to consider getting some aftermarket end links and reinforcing the rear toe link sway bar mounts. These are common mods and can be found via searching the forum.

So when you say ensure that adjustment bolts are free, do you mean check to make sure none of them are rusted/frozen?

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
The bolt can rust inside of the sleeve and they become stuck. Similar to the shock bolts on some hondas. This issue would be noticed when the car was taken to get aligned. New eccentric bolts are not to expensive, or you can just pick up a couple from a junkyard.

o.g.

Feb 24, 2011
League City, Tx
Another question, how hard is it to change the springs on these cars? I'm a DYI guy wanted to do the install myself. I was trying to find info is someone had did this already with pictures but didn't come up with anything. Any suggestions?

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
its really straight forward. if you need some guidance purchase a Chilton or hanes manual and it will show some pictures. you will need to rent a spring compressor from some place like autozone.

o.g.

Feb 24, 2011
League City, Tx
Didn't get the ST springs like I wanted. I got the Eibach Pro Kit. I believe I saw in a post where you had close to that setup?

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
o.g.;1720284 said:
Didn't get the ST springs like I wanted. I got the Eibach Pro Kit. I believe I saw in a post where you had close to that setup?

It is very difficult to beat the Eibach/Koni combo. There is some tradeOff due to the Progressive ,but I remember the days when I took my car with this setup on long road trips - true GT car.