Impossible Timing

adams7305

Dec 30, 2012
Edgerton
I've got a 1991 supra with a 1987 engine. Checking the timing with a light shows that I am about 30 degrees ATDC. Moving the distributor one tooth, puts it around 30 degrees BTDC. There is no happy medium. I manually checked TDC by pulling #1 plug. This also showed that the dampner was okay, and hadn't slippped. Both cams are pinned in the center hole.
Everything seems to be right, all the marks are lined up. But cranking with the light shows it's way off. Anybody got any ideas?????

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Are you sure you have the timing light cable clipped on spark plug #1 wire when checking timing? I guess that would be a dumb question cause you obviously know which cylinder is #1. Hmm... you got me on this one. In for answer.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
everyone else already has most of it, but the other things that come to mind:
- Wiring to the coils (is the right coil firing and is the wire connected to the right coil)
- wiring to the CPS (same issue)

adams7305

Dec 30, 2012
Edgerton
Yep, timing light on #1 wire.....Dropped a dowel rod in #1 plug hole and checked TDC. Mark on crank pulley lines up.....I also had the e1 and Te1 jumped......
Thanks for the input guys, any more ideas????

adams7305

Dec 30, 2012
Edgerton
The car only has a single coil, which is working fine.......As far as a CPS, I don't think it has one. Maybe that is my problem. Can someone tell me where it is on a non-turbo car, with a distributor.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
When I adjust the timing on my car due to they dielectric grease that is in my Diagnostic plug sometimes it is difficult to get the CEL (Check Engine Light) to start flashing. If it's not you're not in base timing mode. Also I've had issues in the past with timing lights; check and see if you're having the same result with a friend's timing light. On an old MAC timing light I had it had a small mark indicating the direction the inductive clamp was supposed to face when hooked up; i.e. one side was supposed to face the plug or ignition source. Also I had at one point a timing light with a broken piece of metal in the pickup that was making the timing fluctuate. I'd look into those things.