im so stuck please help code 11

xcyanideslethalx

7M Boy aka LaaagMaster
Sep 6, 2007
burlington,washington
ok well i recently replaced the headgasket on my car with a 1.2mm hks metal headgasket and after i got everything put back together now the car doesnt run half the time and if it does it runs like crap it just wants to die and what not so far everythings been tested the cps, the igniter, the coilpacks everything i could think of and im getting a code 11 witch is a momentary loss in power to the ecu someone please help me i havent had a car for a month now

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
have u checked all grounds, especially the one that goes on the head, make sure thats secured. Also test all power going into the ecu.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
did you make sure to attach the ground wires under the intake manifold?

its going to be somewhere here:

* Ignition switch circuit
* Ignition switch
* Main relay circuit
* Main relay
* ECU

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
the grounds should be at the very back of the manifold..i think it hangs on to the last stud or bolt of the manifold.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
it def. wont work. i'm not 100% positive to EXACTLY where they are but they are back there. should be a few wires coming together and then you ground them. just look around that area. it should be hard to miss. if anything just follow the wiring harness.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I need to write something up about this code 11 and grounding thing in the SME section when I get a chance. It's not as simple as people think. Note the error code description specifically mentions B+ and everything associated with it while saying nothing about ground. Looking back over my notes from years ago when I did a lot of testing I was never able to induce code 11 by momentarily severing those grounds (E1, E01, and E02) at the intake manifold (ground point B) under various conditions.

The engine will also run without them as long as it's already been started and is off idle. It'll even start without them if IDL is open although my notes say it's a struggle. Once started it seems to run fine though. There's other things too, like the MIL being dim with the grounds off but the ECU still being functional ie; it'll run the engine as above and output a normal code. From where it's getting a half-assed ground reference to do all that is something I've never looked into.

I guess what I'm saying is that when stuck with a code 11 the right thing may be to focus on B+. The best way to do that for the electrically disinclined is to run a long wire from battery positive (put a 5 amp fuse in it there) to the ECU and see if the 11 goes away. If so work backwards with the jumper until it comes back. The problem will lie in between.

Having said all that my intake manifold grounds are jumpered directly to the fender point where battery negative connects, the same place the improved igniter ground goes too.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
I just want to say, I bet your " CAS " Cam Angel sensor my be off, there really is no reason for a ground to be undone, you said the car runs then quits, if the grounds are bad there wouldn't be a running car, if for some reason " a " ground is bad, check the ground to the secondary and primary " ignition systems components " If the CAS is off your timign will be bad, and the car can start but will not be successful, Also Check fro a vacuum leak and make sure all " tiny " vacuum lines are connected into the right places.