Ignition Timing

bozosoku

Jan 29, 2006
CT
z1turbo;1606916 said:
The reason i asked is because the edis 6 if the wheel is set properly should have a standard 10degrees timing advanced with out a saw signal and i wasn't sure if when you set megasquirt to edis mode it assumes that you have it set at 10btdc or if your ignition maps are whats added on top of the standard 10 degrees.
The spark table in MS is total angle. The standard 10 deg in EDIS 6 is the "limp home" mode if ECU spark signal is lost, or when the jumper connector is taken out. The wheel + crank pulley should be set at 0 degree with megatune set at 0 deg during initial setup, if it is setup correctly the spark angle becomes 10 deg when the jumper connector is removed.

1jzcressida

Oct 13, 2010
Miami FL
Nosechunks;1564142 said:
Hey guys, what do your ignition maps look like? Im trying to get a general idea of what these motors like. My EGTs are roughly 1550F in the upper RPMS at 18psi with 50/50 water/meth and a 7GPM nozzle.

Heres my ignition map.

p1630159_1.jpg

Anyone want to share there ignition map for the greater knowledge base of the site?

I have a 1jz on a master power T70 at 17psi on a ems 6860, your map looks much like mine, I'll upload mine 2morow, my mini laptop is in the car and its getting late, very intrested to compare mine to yours, Im a lil conservitive on mine as I havent hit the dyno to get more aggressive

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im completely untuned. I Just filled it in based on other peoples maps ive seen and just stayed as safe as i saw fit.

My car runs pretty well and makes decent power. A buddy just put a dyno in his shop so i should have numbers within a month or two.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here is mine. I think my tuner just used the startup calibration ignition map and just slightly changed it. I'm sure it could use a lot of work still.
p1712346_1.jpg

Edit: 91 octane tune supposedly

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
lost all my data on what I was compiling from the maftpro. MB crashed on that laptop..

redhot, thats a good chunk of timing for pump at 200kpa or 15psi or so from my experience with the stock maps.. was it steady state tuned with some sort of knock detection? det cans or something perhaps?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Nosechunks;1712417 said:
How much power did you make on what turbo?

Keep em commin!

grimreaper;1712468 said:
lost all my data on what I was compiling from the maftpro. MB crashed on that laptop..

redhot, thats a good chunk of timing for pump at 200kpa or 15psi or so from my experience with the stock maps.. was it steady state tuned with some sort of knock detection? det cans or something perhaps?
To tell you the truth... The guy who tuned my car does a lot of chip cars and is really good at those. However, I don't think he really knows AEM that well.

I have changed the tune a lot since he has messed with it. The knock detection on the aem isn't all that great IMO. My engine is very noisy even at no load, and aem seems to pick it all up. As of now it is off, and I am going off of most of the timing I was given through the tuner. I have decreased some area's at first when I thought it was knocking, but It didn't really change the outcome of the knock volts. I have also pulled the plugs and checked for detonation signs and there were not any.

Car didn't make much power and was tuned on a dyno jet. There were a lot of settings that should have been messed with that the tuner just didnt know about. After quite a bit of tinkering the car feels like it makes a ton more power. I will have to dyno again to check. Is there any other kind of knock detection method available?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
After looking at some of the other timing maps, I am a little worried about mine. I am going to pull plugs again and see how they look. I'm going to check my timing sync as well and make sure everything looks right. Perhaps the startup calibration is pretty worthless to even start with as far as timing is concerned. Thanks for the heads up grim.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Wow excellent work, Havnt checked that thread in a while!!

Looks like the stock timing map is in the low to mid 20's at full load, Am i seeing that correctly?

Edit: Any idea what load boost is introduced?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Its about 26 deg for load > 88% from 3000 to 5600 rpm then it drop to 21 degrees above that.

All the 7MGTE ECUs have a turbo indicator light (TIL) output that is not connected to anything. I believe in some markets the TIL light was added to the dashboard.

Anyway, that light comes on for load > 52% as long as rpm > 1400. So I would use that as the point where boost typically starts for a stock 7MGTE.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
So i think its safe to say that anyone running a factory computer is in the mid 20's for timing unless some type of timing control is being utilized? Even higher when using something to scale the AFM Signal for larger injectors.

I guess low 20's timing is a good place to start for any type of reasonable setup when using a standalone.

Have you determined how many degrees of timing can be pulled when knock is sensed to possibly determine a minimum amount of advance at full load?

Thank you so much for your hard work on the stock TCCS Analysts/dissection.