Idiot's Guide to replacing your audio system?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Hi, my name is Travis, and I'm an idiot. Well, at least when it comes to electronics.

My stock 88 HU and speakers are all pretty much fried and I'd like to replace them this summer with something cheap that will just play music. I really have no need to emulate a concert hall or have bass that makes my car jump, I just want to not have that miserable hum from the toasted speakers. I also need to replace the radio antenna since some jackass busted mine off last summer.

So, how do I put a basic system in my car for a minimal amount of money and hassle? I really don't know a damned thing about electronics beyond "you plug the thingy into the dohicky, and it works". I've seen these "all you need" kits that sell a HU and some speakers for like $100, but I don't know enough to know how much they suck.

Any help would be great.
Thanks!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Buy some same-sized speakers to the front and call it a day? Rears are probably OK?
One thread under yours has the dimensions....
A HU alone under 100$ new is probably crap (if we are talking about quality...)

I would of course suggest getting some GOOD used speakers for like 50, make custom pods to the front yourself, buy a GOOD used amp for under 100, GOOD used HU for under 100, some wires and that should be it. I could get those prices locally in Europe, so I think you'd get even better prices in the US....

89TBen

Sep 11, 2006
Mizzou
ok i've been doing my own car audio installs since i was 16 (10 years now) ive had stuff from the bottom of the barrel to pretty high end. its fairly easy to replace the radio in the supra. all you need is a phillips screw driver to remove it. so heres my oppinion. u need an installation kit for you car and the wiring kit too. you can find the installation kit at walmart i believe for fairly cheap and i believe you can find the wiring kit there to. the part number for the wiring kit is TA02B http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/682 (thats the website i found it on, im pretty sure thats it as it looks the same as mine) and the part number for the installation kit part number is UI2225. it will say "scosche stereo kit, import car - suv 1988 and up select import vehicles" on it. these should both be at walmart. also while you're at walmart see if you can find a set of 4" pioneer speakers, 2 way, 3 way or what ever you want. they shouldnt be very expensive, but they actually are pretty decent speakers. if you want to replace the rears find the matching 4.5" pioneers. also while your there look at the head units they have. they dont have much and its not that great but you can look and see what they have. i would suggest a cheap used pioneer, kenwood, panisonic, or clarion head unit. ive owned a few clarions a sony or 2 and a couple panisonics. i dont think ill ever buy anything other than clarion now. (but who knows) ebay is a great place to get great deals on car audio. or you can check local pawn shops. i guess thats all i can suggest for now. if you have any questions let me know.