ideas for better gas mileage

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Hey everyone,

I have a 03 Solara, with a v6. The car has 67,000 miles on it, and it runs like a champ, so the engine is in great shape. I'm lookng for ideas on how to improve gas mileage, it gets it average gas mileage now. I was wondering if an after market piggy back and dyno tune would help. I know at the facory they are set for optimum performance, but it doesn't neccesarly mean it tune for best mileage.

Thanks everyone!

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Start with a tune up. Then an intake and exhaust. A dyno tune seems over kill. Especially if your wanting to save money.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
BoostMonger;1865543 said:
Start with a tune up. Then an intake and exhaust. A dyno tune seems over kill. Especially if your wanting to save money.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Yeah but if I did that then wouldn't the low end suffer? I'd lose the restriction that's needed, plus I want it as qiute as possible.....whisper quite.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it :)

I'm assuming it's auto, which setting are you running the tranny in? Toyotas usually have a switch for more aggressive transmission shifting that's great for power....bad for gas milage.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Poodles;1865597 said:
It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it :)

I'm assuming it's auto, which setting are you running the tranny in? Toyotas usually have a switch for more aggressive transmission shifting that's great for power....bad for gas milage.

well, yeah it's an auto. This one dosen't have that "power" and "Nornal" switch like supra's have. I have my tranny set on "D" with O.D., the Over drive is on. Just in case, anyone wondering, I do not have the T.R.D. supercharger, it's all N/A., stock.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I guess I'm stuck driving like a grandma then. The six is perfect for me It has just enough power where I won't be beating up a four cylinder to get up to speed but it wont have the mileage as a four does. I dont like four bangers because they do not run smooth or they are not as quite as the six. I love sun roofs, and the only way to get a factory sun roof is getting the package with a six. I will not get an aftermarket sunroof.
O.K. thanks guys I got my answer.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Koenigturbo;1865921 said:
well, yeah it's an auto. This one dosen't have that "power" and "Nornal" switch like supra's have. I have my tranny set on "D" with O.D., the Over drive is on. Just in case, anyone wondering, I do not have the T.R.D. supercharger, it's all N/A., stock.

Weird, my dad's camry has that button...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've always gave it a good amount of the loud pedal to get up to speed, then shifted to the right gear for the speed. Returns decent fuel mileage considering all things.

I would look into a hypermiling forum for advice of this sort. You probably wouldn't ask them how to get a few extra horses out of your Prius though, if you know what I mean. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1866187 said:
I've always gave it a good amount of the loud pedal to get up to speed, then shifted to the right gear for the speed. Returns decent fuel mileage considering all things.

I would look into a hypermiling forum for advice of this sort. You probably wouldn't ask them how to get a few extra horses out of your Prius though, if you know what I mean. ;)

Funny, I remember some company turboing a prius...and it got better gas milage :rofl:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1866187 said:

Both my cars have instant fuel used readouts, I've watched the Cruise Control do the Stab to speed then back off then compared it to gently nudging the speed up, Stab is FAR better economy wise... wouldn't have picked it but there ya go!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1866210 said:
Funny, I remember some company turboing a prius...and it got better gas milage :rofl:
Wes with Dahn Automotive once told me about a Prius that he got to work on once that was in some sort of "factory" mode (I forget the details exactly, maybe a debug mode?). Anyway, apparently the electric motor on those is limited to a certain amount of its total torque output. Turns out in this debug mode, that limiter is overridden, and instant torque + low rolling resistance tires = Prius burnout. On accident. :p

IJ.;1866382 said:
Both my cars have instant fuel used readouts, I've watched the Cruise Control do the Stab to speed then back off then compared it to gently nudging the speed up, Stab is FAR better economy wise... wouldn't have picked it but there ya go!
My parents used to give me crap over how I drove the Cavalier I inherited/bought from them. I'd stab to speed myself, and I got WAY better mileage (and emissions outputs) than they ever did with the car. It wasn't uncommon for me to get 30+ mpg in town driving like an asshole nearly everywhere I went.

Best POS car I ever had. :p

Koenigturbo;1866403 said:
O.K I 'll just convert it to pedal power.
With enough gears and a realistic top speed, you might do alright with that idea. Good workout too, but I'm sure not too many people would take kindly to your 0-20mph times. ;)

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
"With enough gears and a realistic top speed, you might do alright with that idea. Good workout too, but I'm sure not too many people would take kindly to your 0-20mph times"".

you guys craaack me uuup!