I smoked a solara but I got smoked by a gto

blacksupra

Apr 9, 2005
Buena Park,CA
I was on my way home when I saw a black 05 gto and borla exhaust. The guy didn't pay attention to my supra until he heard my blow off valve. He was trying to catch up cuz we were on the street. When we got at the light there was a solara next to me I don't know what year but it had the lexus tail lights so it looked 04-05. When the light turned green the gto started pulling on me but I was even with the solara until I hit 3rd I started pulling on the solara but the gto was way too fast for me. I just got my car fixed so now my gauge shows 7.5 psi i don't if it's still low.
My mods 3' catback no cats/ 3' Dp/ K&N filte/ssqv kit. The idle is going up and down form 800 rpms to 500 rpms.
I'm going to fix that first and then I'm not sure about getting the boost control, turbo elbow or DDP. I'll be hitting fuel cut with the DDP

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Anomili said:
Nice kill on the solara. I had heard that the GTO's were fast even stock. Since this guy had that exhaust on it, I doubt you could have taken him on a stock ct-26.

i saw GTO this weekend with a 6.0 liter engine. Probably pushing 300hp I am sure.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
The new GTOs are no joke with the LS2, even more so when modded. IIRC somewhere in the neighborhood of 400hp. Quick cars indeed, no shame in that loss in my opinion :)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Good kill! Don't feel too bad about the GTO they are not to be joked about. Theres a guy around here that has headers, cut out and cams and is running 11's I have heard. Does that sound right to anyone else?

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
If its true, those must be some wicked cams. According to Car and Driver and the like, there mid 13 second cars stock, but there are a couple of factors here. Stock tires are 245s on a car that weighs almost 3800lbs without driver, so slicks could probably shave a couple 10ths in this department, but to go from that to 11s is probably pushing it. For comparison a new corvette with the same motor, but weighing in at 3150lbs manages a 12.7 with substantially more tire and better suspension setup. Still fast but not that fast.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Yeah unless your car can run a healthy 13 flat, don't even think about messsing with a GTO that has been modded. IT will eat you.

As for the Solaras, most are weak sauce. But.... I did run one that had a TRD supercharger on it from the factory, and @ 12psi on a CT-26 we were neck and neck at 130mph.