I need experienced (& smart) people here

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Okay, after 900 years, a claim, 20+ emails, and finally realizing that they just might be out $1K, RHDjapan.com started trying to explain why they say "it'll work". That phrase so untrustworthy from companies that I just could never install a ghetto rigged clutch in my car and cross my fingers. Not only that I just couldn't see how it could work.

The situation: They claim that I can run the HKS GD MAX clutch without springs or fasteners .. . just straight mid plates and disks. They claim this after 900 years, a claim, 20+ emails, and finally realizing that they just might be out $1K. Their proof to me for this is out of a 2003 HKS goods master, which I asked them to show me . ..

p854840_1.jpg

Their reasoning is that the pre GD MAX clutch ran with no springs or fasteners and is identical in every other way.

My concerns: They are just doing this in hopes to settle it. The clutch will engage cockeyed somehow without the sequencing springs (like the GD PRO has). Here's a pic of the GD MAX and it's fasteners in 3 spots.

p854840_2.jpg

If it is safe and great and all/etc, I will sell it off to someone and drop the claim .. . though it is not how it is supposed to work as prescribed by HKS .. . I guess if I wanted to I could use that against them, but meh . . . that be hiding behind a technicality . .. don't play that.

Any help would be cool.

Cheers,

Jago

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Send Dr. Jones a PM, he knows more about clutches that I do. I see you trying to use a 1JZ clutch on a 2JZ motor, but since your using the bellhousing and R154 that fit the 1JZ, that should work right? LOL Again, I'm no clutch expert on what works, or does not.

Another person who might know is IJ. :)

Good luck.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It will work but it will rattle when disengaged.

Disengagement only requires a few thou on a solid disc so you either need a pedal stop or to adjust the Clutch pedal closer to the floor so you don't overtravel the diaphram.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Thanks I had forgotten that I posted here about this. Someone else gave me the rundown and told me it would rattle like crazy. He has a ORC super single and I've seen a vid of his car. Everyone always asks if his car is broken.

The pedal feel thing, I got the little HKS slave cylinder rod extender thingo so I think that that . . . oh wait reread you saying something else. Hmm, I will tell the person who gets my clutch cuz I am not gonna rock this heavy, chattering piece a poo. I talked with the CC again and they said it's all over. The company doesn't want me to send it back so I have a free clutch now. I still don't want it though.

Again Thanks for the help. Happy New Years!!

Jago