I don't see these threads often here....

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
WhtMa71;1484367 said:
Congrats Figgie.

This reminds me, I need to update my resume sometime. Will be graduating in December and have NO IDEA what I want to do.

Anyone need a new manager? :biglaugh:

What are you in school for?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mkiiSupraMan18;1483780 said:
That's awesome. Congrats, sounds like an awesome job... I assume you get to keep what you test?

I am not sure I want to run this stuff full time at my house ;) They are not even alpha's!

Prototypes laiden with bugs, or really obtuse user interface, or network interfaces that just chatter the network to a grinding halt...

I rather NOT keep those items and just have them at work. ;) lol

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
figgie;1484391 said:
I am not sure I want to run this stuff full time at my house ;) They are not even alpha's!

Prototypes laiden with bugs, or really obtuse user interface, or network interfaces that just chatter the network to a grinding halt...

I rather NOT keep those items and just have them at work. ;) lol

Fix the broken item, send it back...then get hired to make more money building stuff.:evil2:

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Congrats to figgie on landing the job!

Tip of the hat to Mike for being the man!

The fact is most people have no idea what to do when making a resume. Many don't even know what the purpose of it is. Those who do know often dont realize how many dont know.

In short a resume is a brief sales pitch. Its closest to what we in the entrepreneurial world we refer to it as an elevator pitch. This being if you were get in a elevator with an investor, you would have only the few minutes on the elevator to convince this investor to hear more on your idea. The only difference is your selling yourself instead of your idea, and your doing it on paper. Resumes should be clear, concise, and only take a few minutes to read.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Well lets clarify one thing.

The resume as it was BEFORE worked quite well during an UP market. I had no issues moving from one contract to another as the contracts ended. All that of course changed when the down economy changed the playing field by a significant amount.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
figgie;1484522 said:

The resume as it was BEFORE worked quite well during an UP market. I had no issues moving from one contract to another as the contracts ended. All that of course changed when the down economy changed the playing field by a significant amount.

Right, but before there were far less applicants than there are today. So you were looked at because there were only a few people to look at, at which point they determined you were the best fit because of your skill set, not your resume. Now there are hundreds of applicants, so regardless of the fact that you may be the best canidate for the position, you will never get looked at if your resume doesnt sell you to them and in turn they never look at you.

Look at it this way:
Job market before:
You stop at a hotdog stand at the corner. You(hiring manager) have the following choices(applicants) Hotdog, Hamburger, Italian sausage. The hotdog is boiled which you dont care for, you dont really like burgers, but you do like italian sausage. So you order the sausage(canidate chosen) The sausage is just ok, but you still made the best decision because its still better than the hotdog or burger. This was an easy decision.

The description (resume) wasnt as important because there were only a few choices.

Job market today:
You go to a fancy Italian resturant. You(hiring manager) have never been there before and there are a ton of things on the menu(pile of applications). The menu is partially in italian, and some of the descriptions are hard to read. Because of this you dont even consider ordering some of the dishes(applicants) because they are represented with long descriptions that are hard to understand (poor resumes). So you look at the things you recognize and are easy to understand(good resumes) and choose one of them(canidate selected). Now theres a good chance theres something on that menu that would be the best meal you ever had(best canidate) but you didnt pick it because you didnt know what it was and there was a lengthy description that was hard to understand(poor resume).

The description(resume) was very important because a poor decsciption(poor resume) led to that choice(applicant) to be ignored

Forgive me if this analogy is completely retarded.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
figgie;1484522 said:

Yea, but just imagine the jobs that might have been available to you in a UP economy...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Supracentral;1484558 said:
Yea, but just imagine the jobs that might have been available to you in a UP economy...

true,

but I like this career move. No more IT, in the sense of not having to do the typical IT stuff (on-call, carry a cell/pager, answering phones etc)!! lol.

So right time, right place. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Supracentral;1483864 said:
One thing that really drives me crazy is to see people not live up to (or have the opportunity to live up to) their potential.

I'm glad I could help. I should probably just dig up everything I PM'd you about that resume, remove the personal details and post it as a sticky.

I'd love that sticky!

You'll have a PM in a few moments. :)