HP A Stock 7m Can Handle ?

mk3

Apr 11, 2008
Australia
just wondering what kind of hp can a 7m handle safely....i got eagle pistons/rings/rods but i was just wondering what a STOCK 7mgte can handle up to ?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Yep as stated by previous posters tune is king, you can melt any engine even the godly 2J with a bad tune.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ.;1133932 said:
X-Man/Sean did 700+ on stock components

Assembly/Tune are King.

yup, i think it was around 760 too Lol

but imagine how much that tuning will cost you ;)

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Stock from the factory in 1992, with perfect maintanance, probably confidently put down over 400rwhp before the composite headgasket becomes a risk. IIRC SupraCentral is doing +450 on an all original 7M in his MkIII.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
With my experience I would say around 400whp reliably with a fresh rebuild, yes some guys have done more, but I wouldnt push it to much farther. The key is to keep the engines cool never overheat them and keep them topped up with oil.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tlo86;1134134 said:
yup, i think it was around 760 too Lol

but imagine how much that tuning will cost you ;)
I know what my dyno bill is and how many additional hours I've put into making my tune pretty, to me it's more than worth it compared to popping an engine.

becauseican;1134170 said:
With my experience I would say around 400whp reliably with a fresh rebuild, yes some guys have done more, but I wouldnt push it to much farther. The key is to keep the engines cool never overheat them and keep them topped up with oil.
Agree 100% with Randy on this.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Here's where the beauty of a turbocharged engine comes into play...

TURN THE BOOST DOWN

You can have an absolute monster at the flip of a switch into a high boost setting, and have a fun reliable car most of the time. Also, even if you ran around in a high boost setting the entire time, it's not subjecting the motor to that abuse unless you're boosting (unlike crazy N/A motors).

Tuning is indeed the key to success, and you'll see that most of the people that are big power don't screw around with piggybacks but have standalones with many hours of tuning...