How to remove the stock long plastic intercooler pipe without damaging it?

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
I am having trouble removing the long plastic intercooler pipe that twists around behind the front right quarter panel.

The intercooler is out, I have removed both clamps that hold this pipe in place, and now the wheelwell cover is out as well. Seems no matter how I rotate it I just cannot get it free.

I also removed the small plastic bracket in the hole the pipe goes through, but that did not give me enough space.

So far the only thread I found mentioning removal of this pipe involved breaking the mounting tab off the pipe, and I do not want to do that as I need to reuse this thing.

Going to see about removing the washer fluid tank and see if that helps.

If anyone has experience here please let me know! Thanks!

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I've done it before without removing the bumper or washer tank...though I couldnt tell you how. I sat there twisting and turning it for a good 10 minutes before I got it.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Thanks for the advice all! I finally got it out by taking the wheel off of all things... (And the washer tank...) And then lots of twisting and turning like CyFi6 noted.

To be fair, I had removed all the spoiler brackets as they were bent up badly and a small brace behind the washer tank...so my bumper may not have been removed, but it sure was flexible.

What in the world was Toyota thinking???

Last edited:

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
MightyAl;1960857 said:
They put it on with no bumper or fender and said screw the mechanics.

Agreed, with the fender off it would have come right out!

Hmm...or maybe the goal was to increase the hours needed to do the work at a dealership? $$$upra!