How to know if car is a "Lucky Dip" Supra?

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Whats up guys. I have 1989 mkiii and some people told me it might a lucky dip yr mkiii. How can I tell if it is. in the door jam it says the car was made Aug of 88'. Is there there another way I can tell because the date really dont tell me anything. Help please.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
All that production year tells me is that it's an '89, and not an '89.5. The biggest difference that means is that if you do a 1JZ swap into it, you'll need the pre-89 motor mount adapters, instead of the JZA70 motor mounts. (Or, if you're buying motor mounts, you need the square ones, and not the round ones.)

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Lucky dip?...I havent been around the game very long so i could be wrong but unfortunately I think you might have been on the bad end of a joke...and be careful because the Aug 88 supra had bad blinker fluid problems.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Its a non-turbo 7mge supra but im looking to swap a 7mgte in it. What im really wondering about is the whole wire harness issue. Some say if it is the "Lucky Dip" not ment as a good thing. How can I tell by just looking at the plugs? The color of the plugs behind the glove compartment are all grey. I have 86-87 yellow plug wire harness and a 89" grey wire harness that came with the motor i bought. Both are for turbos. I just hope I dont have to do any crazy wiring modification.

Tysan

May 5, 2013
Lexington, NC
Thanks steven89 but thats a post I start a couple months back. I didnt really get areally good answer, so I thought id ask again.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
If you got both colour harnesses with the engine you bought there probably won't be any issues, just match the plug colours, it's fairly obvious, ecu has either yellow or grey plastic connectors, so if the ecu is grey, hook up a grey harness to it or yellow with yellow. Your post sounds to me like you have both but in case you don't you may want to find a gte ecu that suits the gte harness you got. I'm thinking you don't want to repin your harness heh.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Tysan;1957355 said:
Its a non-turbo 7mge supra but im looking to swap a 7mgte in it. What im really wondering about is the whole wire harness issue.

Okay, I have a 10/88 production year '89. That should be the same as yours in terms of swap compatability. It had a grey plug harness on the 7M-GE.

I swapped in the engine, transmission, engine harness and ECU from a 1987 yellow plug car with only very minor issues. '89 is its own special year. The harness connectors where they connect to the chassis wiring are the same as the older yellow plugs, but they're grey in colour.

For issues, there were 2. The first was that as soon as I connected my battery, the headlights turned on. This is because the pin that the '87 ECU has that is connected to the headlight "idle up" connector is grounded on the '87 ECU. You can change that one wire over (I think it's swapped with the one beside it) and solve the problem. I didn't know that at the time, and I cut the wire at the #2 integration relay, and ran a new wire to the headlight relay. I lose the idle up function that way. I'll fix it at some later point.

The second issue was the ABS connector wouldn't fit. Also turned out not to be a big deal, it's a 3 wire connection, and the wire colours were similar enough that I could guess how it connected.

I had access to the whole '87 car, so I took whatever I needed from under the hood of the donor car. This included the AFM, igniter, and injector resistor assembly. I did not take the fuel pump relay and resistor assembly, or the main fuse box.

Other notes, I swapped the tach driver board from the '87 dash onto my '89 tach. It works... Sort of. I hit the rev limiter at an indicated 5500 RPM, so by redline, the tach is probably about 1500 RPM off. I've heard of other people having a similar problem. I think that I'd have been okay if I'd swapped the entire tach assembly, but the '87 gauge would look bad in my dash, so I didn't. I found some information on adjusting the tach using a potentiometer, but I haven't actually done it yet. For the differential, I already had a 3.909:1 differential from an '88T, so the speedo drive gear from the '87 transmission was correct. The revs/mile are the same, so installing the R154 corrected my odo/speedo, which was reading 10% low since I'd swapped the differential. Basically this means that if you swap in the R154, driveshaft and differential as a set, your speedometer will remain correct.

Anyway, the short answer to the question that I think you're getting to is this:

Look for a yellow plug harness and ECU. Unless you van get one that is specifically a 1989 model year, which would be best. Do not use one from a '90-'92

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
When you buy the new harness just ask for pictures of the body harness connectors. Its that simple.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA