How much shaft play is too much?

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
I searched all the turbocharger posts and found nothing about turbos with shaft play and figured this would help other people with information about purchasing turbos and looking for indicators of wear and tear.
I recently bought 2 ct-26 turbos for pretty cheap. One looks pretty promising except the shaft wiggles just a smidge in one direction, when i pull up it doesnt move at all, only side play. Also the fan blade is pretty clean and theres no chips or bends.
The other one i got with a motor i got for $100, i can pull it up just a little bit had has the same amount of side to side play as the better looking one, and the fan blades have chips and are bent.
These are my first turbos and im in the process of doing a turbo build and im wondering if a ct26 rebuild is a must. Feel free for any input or comments.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
As per TSRM: (you did not search correctly if at all...)

Axial play: (front-back) = 0.13mm/0.0051in. or less
Radial play: (side-side) = 0.18mm/0.0071in. or less

I am in the process of rebuilding my ct26. I was wanting to send the wheels out to be balance or maybe just even do an upgrade to a 46 or 50 trim... However am told by a few places that they will rebuild or can upgrade (but don't like to) the ct26 but offer no warranty as they believe that the turbo is practically junk and once it goes it will keep blowing... I do not know if this is true or if they'd hope I'd purchase a different turbo. I don't want to exceed 425hp since it is a daily driver. I personally think that the stock ct26 shaft play is still too much. I'm willing to bet yours definitely needs a rebuild

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Remember thats trying to move the turbine and the compressor in the same direction though measured through the oil return, not just wiggling the compressor.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
shiftysupra;1428259 said:
As per TSRM: (you did not search correctly if at all...)

Axial play: (front-back) = 0.13mm/0.0051in. or less
Radial play: (side-side) = 0.18mm/0.0071in. or less

I am in the process of rebuilding my ct26. I was wanting to send the wheels out to be balance or maybe just even do an upgrade to a 46 or 50 trim... However am told by a few places that they will rebuild or can upgrade (but don't like to) the ct26 but offer no warranty as they believe that the turbo is practically junk and once it goes it will keep blowing... I do not know if this is true or if they'd hope I'd purchase a different turbo. I don't want to exceed 425hp since it is a daily driver. I personally think that the stock ct26 shaft play is still too much. I'm willing to bet yours definitely needs a rebuild

I dont know much about rebuilding and upgrading turbos but that doesnt seem true at all, but I believe if there is to much shaft play it cannot be rebuilt. Call up driftmotion, they can rebuild and upgrade for a really good price!