how does jz timing belt tensioner work?

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
installing my cams this week and the only question i have is how does the timing belt tensioner gets its tension?

this is my first time digging into a jz motor and never seen this set up before. looks like some kind of hydraulic something something pushes up against the little pin connected to the arm.

so how do you create tension?
is the allen bolt just to hold the unit inplace or does it control something else also?
how do you release tension to install the unit w/o forcing it back in?

i havent gotten as far as getting it back together, but thats the question i will be facing. waiting for the damn shims. man i hate them! stupid sst didnt help me one bit.

thanks!

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I've just loosened the tension to the last threads on the 2 bolts, it gives enough slack in the belt to take it of and put it back on. then tighten up when finished and you're good to go

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
str8_6;894502 said:
nvm. i think i figured it out. found the 2jz tsrm

http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/JZA80 TSRM/EM (2JZ-GTE).pdf

i guess the tensioner itself unbolts from the engine and you have to hydraulic press it back down.

i wonder if i could just tighten it up and it would eventually force the orignal tightness on the pulley???

I just used a bench vise because I didn't have a press then put the little hex key in but dont push it in to far or it will get in the way when your installing the tensioner. then tighten the two bolts and take out the hex key easy as that.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i just took mine out i couldnt compress it. i installed and tightened and checked the timing it was perfect.

but turn the crank a couple of times make sure it stays the same heh

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I used a bench vise, and a small allen wrench to hold it compressed as you install it. There is a small hole thru both the tensioner housing and piston, that lines up when it is compressed enough. Oh and the tensioner is real easy to get to, from under the car, between the alternator and block. 2-12mm bolts I believe.

I think that if you simply install the tensioner without first compressing it, you can stretch your timing belt at install. When you compress it, install it, and then release the pin, it applies the perfect amount of tension, and keeps it there. As opposed to the belt having to compress the tensioner as you install it, and possibly stretching the belt and not applying the correct tension while running.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
88mkIIIproject;896720 said:
I used a bench vise, and a small allen wrench to hold it compressed as you install it. There is a small hole thru both the tensioner housing and piston, that lines up when it is compressed enough. Oh and the tensioner is real easy to get to, from under the car, between the alternator and block. 2-12mm bolts I believe.

I think that if you simply install the tensioner without first compressing it, you can stretch your timing belt at install. When you compress it, install it, and then release the pin, it applies the perfect amount of tension, and keeps it there. As opposed to the belt having to compress the tensioner as you install it, and possibly stretching the belt and not applying the correct tension while running.

oh i forgot to add the note i didnt use a toyota timing belt i used a kevlar one so it might make the difference, im kinda sure if i used another oem belt the timing would have been off

Bernett

May 30, 2016
Leesburg, VA
My vise wasn't wide enough so i used my car jack and jacked up a car with the tensioner between the jack and the car frame. It works really well. You have to be patient because the tensioner takes a while to compress. Then you slip in your pin to hold the tensioner until you install it.