Hope this isn't too noob-ish question on subframe bushings.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I've been doing some reading on them here and elsewhere and perhaps I'm not completely understanding what the subframe bushings are really supposed to do (other than keep the subframe from constantly shifting around) but I've seen both poly and solid aluminum sets being sold for the MkIII, two materials with substantially different characteristics. Can someone enlighten me on the subject of subframe bushings in general, and perhaps explain how these two significantly different materials can each be appropriately used for them and how each would perform, it's pro's and con's? My subframe is in serious need of a good tightening, and as long as I'm going to work on it I wanted to know a little more about the options for bushings for it.

Thanks in advance everyone.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Subframe holds the engine to the front and diff to the rear. It's a unibody chassis. Doesn't have a full frame.

The bushings are a cushion for it. The aluminium ones will be more rigid harsher and transmit more noise through the chassis. Poly ones are not as stiff depending on which hardness you get.

It's always a good thing to do a Retorque on the bolts to make sure there tight.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Okay, so they're basically isolators to decouple noise and vibrations from being transmitted to the body as easily. Got it. Thanks for the explanation hvy. Looks I'll be getting in touch with RonnieK when I get the funds saved up.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I got a set of red rears from Ronnie and they are great.

When you get your rear dropped you may want to take some time to reinforce it...I found a crack entirely through

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited: