Holset HX35 leaking oil from turbine?

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
I just installed a holset hx35. Was rebuild less than 100 miles ago. Noticed oil leaking from under the car. Traced it from the exhaust side of the turbo. Pulled the downpipe off. Started the car, quite a bit of oil is coming out from the turbine. What would cause this, and how do I fix it? Thanks

yea wrong spot budd

WillWorkFoBoost;1906758 said:
Wrong spot to post this, youre in the for sale section. but Id say that means that it was rebuilt wrong 100 miles ago.

actually this can also be from improper install, was it smoking at all from the get go? what size is your oil drain line (also your feed line)? over pressure in the center cartridge can cause this a lot of time.

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
Would putting a restrictor in possibly solve the problem? Or would I need restrictor and to fix something inside the turbo?

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
I need some help with this. I just installed a newly rebuilt hy35 holset and it is leaking oil out of the exhaust housing. I need to know if a restriction in the return like would cause this, and is so, would just fixing the return line solve the problem, or woul I need to repair the turbo? If it is just a seal in the turbo that failed, would I need to replace just it, or would the while thing need rebuild? Any input would be great as I need to get the car drivable again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's a restrictor on the feed not the drain.

Your getting excessive oil pressure and it doesn't have anywhere to go.

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
I was saying, if I had a restriction, or block in the return line. And this is what was causing oil to come out the exhaust, would I just need to fix the restriction and all I well, or is there a seal blown in the turbo. If it is just simply getting too much oil, would putting a restrictor on the feed line fix the problem? Or would I need to do that and fix the turbo?

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
dylansword;1906999 said:
I was saying, if I had a restriction, or block in the return line. And this is what was causing oil to come out the exhaust, would I just need to fix the restriction and all I well, or is there a seal blown in the turbo. If it is just simply getting too much oil, would putting a restrictor on the feed line fix the problem? Or would I need to do that and fix the turbo?

Could go ether way. just add a restrictor it needs to be done anyway..

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
I just put an oil restrictor in, and it is still leaking oil. Also when I shut the car off, I can hear a hissing of pressure coming out exhaust housing? Is the seal blown? Does the whole thing need rebuilt or can I just put a new seal in?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When I ran my Turbonetics initially without the restrictor it leaked the same as you have and I unfortunately had damaged the seal by doing so and had to have the seals replaced due to the overpressured oil blowing them out.

Was a PITA but lesson learned.