Hmm, possible to set timing properly with high idle??

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Yes i have a high idle, around 1.1K

Yes, i should fix it, im stiiiiiiiill working on it

Yes, ive tried, i've had it since the rebuild 6K miles ago and 6months ago. Nothing i've fixed along the way fixed it even when i focused on the problem.

Yes, i've resistance checked the ISC

Yes, my TPS is set correctly according to Voltage readings via SAFCII

Yes, the AFM works properly via SAFCII

Yes, ignition system is working properly

No, i don't have vacuum leaks/boost leaks

Lol, that being said, i will be trying my buddies ISC and valve just in case to correct the problem this weekend and see what happens.

In the mean time, Im not sure how to set the timing properly when my idle is at 1.1K

The wierd part is, i idle 1.6+K at cold start. I idle 550-600 (normal idle) comfortably shortly thereafter. As the engine warms the idle gets higher.

TSRM says to warm up engine all the way and jump the terminals, can i do this when its somewhat cold and at correct idle speed and get correct timing or no???

Alternative: What should my timing be at around 1~1.1K?

SAFCII has been tuned at idle, tuner couldn't get below .9K hot. I've read that people have A LOT of trouble properly timing with a piggyback...is this true? how can i get around this?

BTW at 1.1K idle with terminals jumped i got the timing to around 11~
12* BTDC....not sure if this is right but that's where its at currently.

Anyone have approximations for timing possibly with this idle velocity?

Any help would be appreciated, please no flaming reguard "oh you need to fix that then do it"....i know i need to fix it like i said, im trying, thanks.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
tried retarding the timing to get the correct idle?

though that doesn't help you set base timing.
we use to get a lot of SR20s with vac leaks and they would want us to set timing even at 1500rpm. of course fixing it is the best thing but we charted out what timing should be at 1500 rpm based on other cars reved that high, though i don't have a number for you someone else might

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
i will attempt to retard the timing next time i get a hold of a timing light and see what happens. Its not just me having problems with this, the tuner i went to also had issues with it...