Hi

7M_Supra

Oct 15, 2012
Minnesota
Im new to the Supra World. I was looking into a mk3 Supra Turbo 7mgte. I had another choice of getting a different car if i wasnt to get a Supra. the 2nd choice was a 91' Subaru Legacy Turbo AWD. but then i kinda wanna go with the mk3 supra. I know the common problem was the HG going out, so the solution to that is to go with a metal HG Cometic and ARP headstuds.

So when looking into a 7mgte mk3 supra, what main key points should i be on the lookout for? thanks.

and also, what are the simple ways to simply upgrade a 7MGTE with just a 150-200whp gain? Bigger Intercooler piping? Injectors? A tuned? (what kinda tune?) 3" DP all the way (straight pipe?) MBC or a EBC ? I dont want too much Horsepower as i dont wanna flash all out. i wanna learn how to build but at the same time can beat those stock WRX and little honda civics :D

Last edited:

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Look at the rear arches. Those tend to rust out before anything else. Also the trunk floor where the spare tire is kept. There are no simple solutions to get any turbo car to higher HP levels. You can go from something as simple as a lex afm and 550 injectors, and a walbro pump all the way up to larger everything. Mainly people start with the lex afm, 550 injectors, 3" exhaust, walbro 255 and a really good boost controller. That will get you over stock but not much. That stock CT26 is pretty much useless over 13-14 psi. You can find good deals on a 57 or a 60-1 ct26 sometimes. Those mount to stock locations and offer a bit more power. When I had a 7M I had MHG, ARP studs, Walbro 255, blitz exhaust, T70 turbo, and a ton more mods. Then I was able to get my hands on a MK3 with a 2JZ swap done to it. You won't be needing a tune unless you go stand alone but it is handy to have a shop around that knows about tuning for when and if you put something on like an Apexi SAFC or NEO. Other then that, everything else is basic upgrades. Be smart and do them all at once and not one piece at a time. For instance, don't try to put a lex afm on there with no fuel upgrades, and vice versa. Good luck with it and toss some picks up. There are alot of people on here with some good knowledge. Even a few up there in your neck of the woods.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
lexus air flow meter. one of the first upgrades people jump to. Easy, not that expensive, but make sure you have the 550 injectors, walbro pump and an afc to back it up.

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
asking what a AFM is, hang on for the long ride. but no seriously all those answers are good. Just search a bit and i bet you can find what you are looking for here.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
7m is a stout motor once the hg is fixed. Before you put all those upgrades to the engine you should really consider refreshing the engine. I wouldn't want to put 200 more hp and 18psi to a engine that has 20 years if age.

Go through the engine take the head off. Get that cleaned and flattened, valve job if you want should be around 400 bucks to get it done right

Put new bearings for cheap insurance, and rings

Arp rob bolts
Arp head studs or bolts

And if your not gunna go over 400 hp I would just put a factory hg with arps torqued down good. They will handle 400hp fine with arps once u start going over 450hp and over 18lbs of boost a mhg is needed. But if would like mhg would work just fine for any hp level just more money and the block and head need to be perfectly flat and smooth

Intake
3 in Exhaust and dp
550 and Lexus
a 57 trim turbo
Fpr
FFMIC and hard pipes
Walboro pump

That will get u too 400hp

But I strongly advise you get good quality gauges like autometer and aem to monitor boost, afr's, and a good piggy back

All this can seem like alot just take your time do it right the first time you will thank yourself if u do. Do the mods slowly not all at once. That will make troubleshooting alot easier

simmi

Banned
Feb 14, 2013
Rajathan
Hi,
I'm also new in this mania forum, See there are many thread, post and user who have great knowledge and coporative for problem solving, as I read many threads.