Help??

peteremer

Nov 16, 2007
virginia
I just finished rebuilding my engine a couple nights ago, and when I took it out for my break in run every time I would push down on the gas it felt like it would have nothing there, as in like the engine didnt know I wanted to go anywhere and was somtimes really boggy.

But if I would hardly push on the gas it would go through all the rpms. So little throttle = it was working ok, More throttle = felt like it was empty space. Does this have anything to do with my Throttle Positioning sensor? I checked my timing and it is right on. I have also checked for vacuum leaks everywhere and I dont have any to my knowledge. What could this be?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Did you check for codes?

What all did you rebuild on the engine?

Did you take the head off?

If so, how did you re-align the cams with the crank?

How did you set your CPS?

Did you check your timing?

peteremer

Nov 16, 2007
virginia
Did you check for codes?
-Yes there are no codes being given at all

What all did you rebuild on the engine?
-The engine was bored out .20 thousands, with all new stock internals.
- .20 thousands oversized stock pistons, rings, 2.0 titan motorsports headgasket, decked block, shaved head everything cleaned, new valve seals, etc.

Did you take the head off?
- mhm.

If so, how did you re-align the cams with the crank?
- I re-aligned the cams the way that the repair manual said to...tdc

How did you set your CPS?
- I lined up the mark on the gear, took off the plastic cover to the chamber thing, saw where it was lined up, placed it into the car, and made sure it didnt move a tooth while doing so then replaced cover.

Did you check your timing?
- yes, I checked it with the timing light and adjusted my cps accordingly until I was idling at 10 degrees. with the timing light

I also have a new spearco replica intercooler, koyo radiator, 3in suprasport turbo elbow, 3in hks downpipe, hks super dragger exaughst, hks ssqv, and oil catch can, stage 3 clutch, fidanza 11lb flywheel, new plugs which are correctly gapped. I hope that helps out.

The afm is plugged in correctly.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Peter,
I thought you might have mentioned having a lexus AFM, you arn't running it yet are you? With stock injectors i could see it causing a problem.

If it's installed try running a stocker, and re-setting the ECU by pulling the EFI fuse.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Okay, good.

Since there are no codes I'm starting to think the ECU may just need some time to adjust itself. When I was on 7M/stock ECU it would take about 30 minutes of diverse driving condition for the ECU to completely re-learn after I had re-set it.

I'd just give that a shot and keep checking for codes.

peteremer

Nov 16, 2007
virginia
That could be it, I have had the car on for around that amount of time now, but I will give it a shot, and try some more "diverse driving" and see if the ECU learns a little more...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
TPS could be bad

AFM could be bad

Boost leak also makes sense

Timing makes the most sense but since you checked that already....

How's Fuel pressure? Could your feul system maybe be blocked somehow?

What's your AF like?

peteremer

Nov 16, 2007
virginia
Tommorow I am going to check the tps and make sure its set correctly, I can also swap a spare afm I have onto it to see if that does anything

I have hardpipes on order, but for now I am almost positive I dont have a boost leak, and I dont have a a/f gauge so I can't tell what thats doing.....

peteremer

Nov 16, 2007
virginia
Just to let you all know it was the afm! It just went bad I suppose, I cleaned mine and it still didnt work, so I put in my extra one and wala! It was fixed. No more problems and it runs like a dream...Thanks so much