Help to diagnose strange problem with the Tahoe

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So the car in need is a 2003 5.3l V8 Chevy Tahoe

Problem is about every 15 miles the car acts like it runs out of gas and dies. I can turn it right back on and go another 200ft then does the same

It idles fine and won't shut off.

Oil gauge also says its loosing pressure when car is dying out.

Replaced fuel pump and filter already.

Owner said he had the radiator core in the dash changed because it was overheating (I think he means Heater core) and that's when the problem starts, the car no longer over heats

Thanks for all the help in advance.

MrVito

Jul 11, 2010
Augusta, GA
You said the fuel pump and filter were replaced, did you mean the fuel filter along the fuel lines from the tank to the engine, or the fuel sock on the pump itself? What you described really sounds like a clogged or overheating fuelpump, which could be caused by trash in the tank. In fact, you may want to drain the tank and clean it out thoroughly. Hope that helps!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
MrVito;1789988 said:
You said the fuel pump and filter were replaced, did you mean the fuel filter along the fuel lines from the tank to the engine, or the fuel sock on the pump itself? What you described really sounds like a clogged or overheating fuelpump, which could be caused by trash in the tank. In fact, you may want to drain the tank and clean it out thoroughly. Hope that helps!

I'm assuming both filter and sock have been changed. This is a friends vehicle he took it to a shop and they diagnosed it as a fuel filter he had it changed and also had the pump changed I would think the sock would have been changed to.

Although I guess the next step would be to drop the tank if it hasn't been done already.

MrVito

Jul 11, 2010
Augusta, GA
I'd say go ahead and drop the tank. I had a similar problem with one of my 240SX's, rubber lines replaced, fuel pump replaced, sock, filter, injector O-rings, all replaced. Turns out there was just enough trash in the tank that after a few miles of running under load the sock would get clogged. When I dropped the tank the fuel looked clear until it got disturbed, then the trash moved up from the bottom of the tank.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
MrVito;1790005 said:
I'd say go ahead and drop the tank. I had a similar problem with one of my 240SX's, rubber lines replaced, fuel pump replaced, sock, filter, injector O-rings, all replaced. Turns out there was just enough trash in the tank that after a few miles of running under load the sock would get clogged. When I dropped the tank the fuel looked clear until it got disturbed, then the trash moved up from the bottom of the tank.

Cool thanks for the input

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know what they say about assuming... find anything yet?

I do recall a similar problem I had with the SS once, turned out to be excess oil from a brand new K&N filter, got on the MAF wires, and ran like crap. Literally felt and ran like it was going on 2 cylinders, surprised I got the thing where I was going...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
te72;1790162 said:
You know what they say about assuming... find anything yet?

I do recall a similar problem I had with the SS once, turned out to be excess oil from a brand new K&N filter, got on the MAF wires, and ran like crap. Literally felt and ran like it was going on 2 cylinders, surprised I got the thing where I was going...

true that i have not yet had a chance to go look at the SUV but i will be sure to check out the maf. And when i drop the tank (if i do) ill replace the sock.