Help Removing Diff!

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I can't get the diff to drop out after removing all the bolts associated with it. I removed the 4 connecting it to the driveshaft, the 6 for each axle, the bottom 2 connecting to the frame, and the back 4, both upper and lower.

The diff won't disconnect from the driveshaft, and I'm also having problems clearing the axles. Any tips, or am I missing something here? I do have it supported with a jack, and I have pried it forward a bit to clear the rear brace. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ben

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
there is a spot on the ds where it goes into the diff. and you can wedge a chisle or prybar to seperat the drive line from the diff. there are two of them on opposite sides. then just give it a little push with a jack underneath it. you have to remember its been on there for a while. it's not just going to pop out. use some muscle.

and yeah the axles are a bitch when putting it back in. just use some wire to hold them out of the way. they have a lot of play.

oh use a 2x6 or something in between the jack and diff. or else you might crack a cooling fine. go right under neath the diff. with the jack.

you'll get it out.