Help picking a wastegate

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
I am trying to find a wastegate for my setup but I'm not sure which ones fit on my manifold. Any suggestions? Here is a pic of the flange. Thanks

p1155842_1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4579.jpg
    DSC_4579.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 6

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Looks very similar to my manifold - I believe you can get an HKS 40mm/50mm wastegate - or a knock-off on eBay, which is what I did (was a dud, so I got a different one)

Or get the flange changed to suit whatever wastegate you want :D

OR what I ended up doing was getting an adapter plate made up to bolt the new wastegate to the manifold without changing the flange.

Just a few ideas :)

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
MA70_Powa;1156133 said:
Looks very similar to my manifold - I believe you can get an HKS 40mm/50mm wastegate - or a knock-off on eBay, which is what I did (was a dud, so I got a different one)

Or get the flange changed to suit whatever wastegate you want :D

OR what I ended up doing was getting an adapter plate made up to bolt the new wastegate to the manifold without changing the flange.

Just a few ideas :)

Yea, i was thinking about going the ebay route but i hate to put the life of my motor on some piece of shit knock-off wastegate. It looks like HKS makes an adapter to go from there 4 bolt flange to a v-band. Is that what you got?

empera;1156147 said:
thats the hks ewg, i believe its 40mm or 44mm...i would def. use a diff. one tho.

Whats up Julio?? You think i should stay away from the 40mm or from the HKS wastegates all together. I would like to use that adapter but i think $800 dollars for a wastegate is pretty crazy, although my motor cost $3500 so i guess it's not a bad investment.

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
empera;1156191 said:
n/m man, i've actually good and bad experience with ebay wastegates maybe brian has told u. I'm using a 44mm real tial and its great...steady boost. Maybe you should look into the same. Maybe you can even use something like this...
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=18909&cat=446&page=1
or weld on a new flange.

That adapter looks pretty sweet, and $25 is alot better then $125 from HKS. It looks like the Tial 41mm wastegate might fit. Do you know if it uses the same flange as the 40?? I can't find a good pic, or any documentation anywhere.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
BuiltMK3;1156188 said:
Yea, i was thinking about going the ebay route but i hate to put the life of my motor on some piece of shit knock-off wastegate. It looks like HKS makes an adapter to go from there 4 bolt flange to a v-band. Is that what you got?

I think $800 dollars for a wastegate is pretty crazy, although my motor cost $3500 so i guess it's not a bad investment.

No I got a 4-bolt to a 2-bolt adapter made up. I'm now running a 38mm KKR wastegate (I gather not many of you US boys have heard of KKR, but they are a pretty good brand) and it works great. Has a 6 month replacement warranty too :) which by the way cost me AUD270. So yes, spending $800 on a wastegate is stupid and unnecessary, IMO.

FYI the eBay HKS knock-offs are hit and miss, some people run them for ages with no probs. Mine happened to be a miss... :3d_frown:

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
I think i will go with the 40mm to 44mm adapter and get the 44mm Tial wastegate. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I wouldn't ever run a knockoff wastegate. You're asking for trouble!

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
IJ.;1156517 said:
:love: my Tial v44 best/most stable gate I've ever used.

Thats great to hear IJ. Thanks. Any suggestions on where to buy? I keep trying to deal with horsepowerfreaks but they keep blowing me off.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Got mine locally new for 325 :p

I wouldn't bother with an adapter piece for the flange, just get the flange that comes with the tial and have them weld it on there so everything is how it should be :)