Help me with my surging, power loss problem PLEASE!!!

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I posted this in my rebuild thread, but there are only a few people keeping track of it. So, I made a new post so that maybe some others would look at it.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Drove the car to work today, it seems the surging is getting progressivly worse. So, I took it down to one of my customer's shop and put it on the lift. I dropped the tank, and cleaned it out. I replaced the nasty ass fuel pump strainer, and the filter while I had the tank out. Ran like a top for the usual five minutes, and then the same problem again. When I drove it home, it got so bad that it took my 20 minutes to get up the one mile of uphill that I call my driveway. Could this be the fuel pump going? I pulled it up in the driveway, stopped, and let her idle for a few. It got very lopy and stayed around 500 rpm for a few seconds and then died. It cranked right back up and ran fine for about 10 seconds, then got lopy and died again. I can no longer drive the car. If anyone thinks this is the fuel pump, does anyone have a good stock pump they can send me fairly cheap? I have to do something! I tried the ignitor, because I notic ed it was pretty damn hot after a 10 minute run during the day, but that didn't help either. I had another known good ignitor that was working perfectly, and it didn't help any at all. I know my ECU is good, as I swapped it and tried another and it did the same. The only two things I can think of are the coil packs getting hot and misfiring badly or the fuel pump not supplying enough volume or pressure. It seems to still be load related, as it does it much worse going up hill.

The best way I can describe it now is a loss of power with a jerkiness that turns into a surge if you apply slightly more throttle. I wish I had a way of testing fuel pressure on the road. That would be nice. Turning the key off and coasting no longer works. It used to work so that the car would run about 5 miles or so before acting up again, now it works for about 5-10 seconds. It went from 5 miles to 5-10 seconds on the way home. I thought I was never going to make it. Someone please help!!!!!

Anyone, give me your opinion on this!

Apr 1, 2005
WA
did you ever replace your fuel filter? cause if you had shizit in the tank it will gum up the filter. hmm... on second thought i doubt thats your problem. are your plugs getting fouled in any way?