help me choose a fuel controller!

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
hey guys,

im in the market for a piggy back system and was wondering what one to go with. i have been looking at the neo but i had read on here that the decel-air function doesn't work? is that true? if so wich one would you suggest? my mods are -intake, 2.5" ic piping. 3" thick intercooler, lex/550's, 3" custom turbo back, wideband, tial 50mm bov, boost gauge, walbro pump, afpr. also its the 7m.

thanks alot for any and all suggestions.

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
so i think im going to go with a maft-pro with speed density. im pretty sure i have it figured out but let me know. all i need is the base unit, map sensor, iat and the speed density harness right? can anyone give me a parts list of everything i need or direct me to a link that has that information? also i want to use it as my boost controller so what other parts do i need?

also if i go speed density will i be hitting fuel cut like with the stock afm? if so what else do i need so i dont hit fuel cut.

thanks

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
MAFT-Pro is a good system. You are correct on your parts list - although you will need some wire housing as well, of course.

For the electronic boost control to work, you will need the boost control solenoid and the harness for it.

This system will remove fuel cut if you wish, however, I suggest you use it in the same way that the Lexus AFM works, and simply raise FC to a higher level.

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
grim jack,

thanks alot for your response it was very helpful. how would i go about raising the fuel cut? is it all computer controlled to do it? i dont have to buy a bigger sensor or anything like when upgrading to the lexus right? do i just add for fuel pressure? i have 550's if that helps.

thanks alot for the advice.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
How is the electronic boost control on the MAFT PRO? I pulled this list off of their site:

Boost Control:
TPS Spool - TPS voltage to enable boost system, during Spool solenoid is on 100%
RPM Spool - RPM to enable boost system, during Spool solenoid is on 100%
TPS Start - TPS voltage above which the system controls the boost psi
PSI Start - Boost psi where the system switches from spool (100%) to DC% start
DC% Start - Solenoid DutyCycle that is used once the boost exceeded the Start PSI
PSI Set - Desired boost
PSI Aux - desired boost when the Aux Trigger input is energized
Gain - the speed that the Dutycycle will be adjusted to maintain the desired boost.

It looks like it has some good basic features but not nearly as much as something like the APEXI AVC-R (i.e. gear specific boost control). For those who have used it, what has your experience been?

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
ok im about to order everything to go maft-pro. please let me know if this is everything i need.
-map sensor
-iat sensor
-speed density harness (6ft)
-high boost solenoid
-boost solenoid wiring harness.
-vaccum fittings for when i make a new ss accordian hose?

i have an aem uego wideband will i be able to hook that into the maft pro or do i need that wideband controller (lc1) that ive been reading about.

if there is anything else i need let me know so i can order everything at once.

thanks alot.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sounds like you've got everything there. You'll need little bits here and there - like a weld in bung for the AIT, in a metal to match your IC piping. The AEM wideband should plug in just fine.

As for the built in boost controller, it's really a basic EBC, and it's more than a little cryptic to set up, but it works well and it's cheap to add to a MAFT pro.

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
thanks alot for all your help grimjack. where would i go to find a weld in bung for aluminum ic piping?

just ordered everything.. cant wait!!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Personally i'd use a SAFC over the MAFT pro. No personal experience with the MAFT Pro.

But others have used the MAFT Pro with great success. :)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
+1 for the pro. Use both safcII and maft-pro. Safc was simple and easy. The pro can be easy or it can be more in depth (ve maps, timing, ebc etc...).

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
grimreaper;1490145 said:
+1 for the pro. Use both safcII and maft-pro. Safc was simple and easy. The pro can be easy or it can be more in depth (ve maps, timing, ebc etc...).
Since you have experience with the pro, what is your opinion on the build-in EBC?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
dont have one :), wastegate puts me right at the limits of what i want to see psi wise for pump.

From what ive read/heard they have worked out some kinks in the last update with it. Havent seen any negatives from anybody so far.