help installing pioneer AVGVPD

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
hey guys well i just picked up a old skool avh6800DVD with a AVG unit with ipod and a GPS set-up for really cheap. i've been searching and browsing the boards and the units telling me to conect a wire to "speed detection unit" but the supras arent electronic sensors there cable:aigo::1zhelp:, so as of now my GPS doesnt work.

Aries

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
arizzle;1224940 said:
hey guys well i just picked up a old skool avh6800DVD with a AVG unit with ipod and a GPS set-up for really cheap. i've been searching and browsing the boards and the units telling me to conect a wire to "speed detection unit" but the supras arent electronic sensors there cable:aigo::1zhelp:, so as of now my GPS doesnt work.

Aries

I am not sure if this would work but this is how you connect the turbo timer in order to detect speed... Speed sensor on harness should be S.

You can check out the location of S on the harness via this link :)
http://www.hksusa.com/info/download.asp?id=3375

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
IwantMKIII;1224951 said:
doesn't ABS use some type of speed sensor?

i believe so but not 100% and i dont want to start taping it in lol. :aigo:

Sside;1224956 said:
I am not sure if this would work but this is how you connect the turbo timer in order to detect speed... Speed sensor on harness should be S.

You can check out the location of S on the harness via this link :)
http://www.hksusa.com/info/download.asp?id=3375

yeah, well i never connected that wire, as i dont really need to run it and i didnt want to go thru the hassle! lol.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
BoostJunkie;1226592 said:
The GPS should still work without the speed sense connected. I never connect it on the installs I do. And that is on the Pioneer AVIC Nav units.

yeah i just figured that out, but i think the speed sensor was for the AVG set-up were it tells you rpms speed, and distance. the navi's messed up right now and im in the works of getting a new one.

thanks tho.,

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
arizzle;1224940 said:
...the units telling me to conect a wire to "speed detection unit" but the supras arent electronic sensors there cable...

That is true, however, there is a speed sensor inside the speedometer which transmits a signal back to the TCCS so that it knows the vehicle's speed.

Check out #6 in the TEWD.

If you can find out what wire feeds the vehicle's speed back to the TCCS, you should be able to tap into that wire for your GPS.

EDIT: I think I found it for you.

If you look in the TSRM, and you'll see where the speed signal comes into the TCCS. You'll see it listed as the 3rd one down on the right side column. (It seems to be 3rd wire from the left on the top row of the 3rd connector).

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
sweet sounds good!! well i wont be working on the system until i fix my car :( lol. but i will let you know if that works.