HELP! engine just dies...

supra4ever68

Dec 6, 2006
Anaheim, CA
I have successfully done a knock sensor rewire but my engine dies after it has warmed up. It used to do the same thing before but now with no engine check light. I can drive it but when i let go of the gas it just dies and i have to start it up again. any suggestions??? please help me and ask me to check things if it will help you give me a better answer.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
My car did this when I had several large boost leaks, I'd recommend starting there. Do you have an aftermarket BOV, by any chance?

supra4ever68

Dec 6, 2006
Anaheim, CA
no i don't...yeah i think it might be that also but when i do a boost leak test for some reason air comes out of the oil cap. is that normal?

supra4ever68

Dec 6, 2006
Anaheim, CA
jetjock;906987 said:
You keep doing leak tests that way and stalling will be the least of your problems....

then how am i supposed to do a boost leak test? i made one of those things to put on the turbo and put a tire pump to it... it doesn't flutter, it just dies when i let go of the gas. seems like it's not getting enough air.

D-Dayve

Still in pieces...
You're not actually trying to start the car with the boost checker attached, are you doing that? You're supposed to pressurize the system (with the engine off), and look for where air leaks out to see if you have a hole somewhere.

If the air is rushing out your oil cap, then I'd guess that you have a broken ring or have a head gasket failure. Air will come out of the oil cap, but it should be almost nothing compared to how much air you're pressurizing with. If the air just rushes out the exhaust, then bump the engine over a bit by hand to find a place where the valves are closed.

supra4ever68

Dec 6, 2006
Anaheim, CA
D-Dayve;909101 said:
You're not actually trying to start the car with the boost checker attached, are you doing that? You're supposed to pressurize the system (with the engine off), and look for where air leaks out to see if you have a hole somewhere.

If the air is rushing out your oil cap, then I'd guess that you have a broken ring or have a head gasket failure. Air will come out of the oil cap, but it should be almost nothing compared to how much air you're pressurizing with. If the air just rushes out the exhaust, then bump the engine over a bit by hand to find a place where the valves are closed.

no i'm not starting the car with the boost leak tester on it...there is a significant amount of air coming out of the oil cap though

supra4ever68

Dec 6, 2006
Anaheim, CA
How hard/expensive would it be to replace all the pipes from the back of the turbo to the 3000 pipe?? and does the stock intercooler develop leaks?