• Thunder gun!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 2135Timax

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I'm going to be buying my very first impact gun to go along with my new compressor and need some opinions. Before everyone gets to gung-ho however, I've narrowed my decision down to two different guns. So can we keep the opinions only on these two, no comments about this other brand or this one cheap 12v impact etc.

I will be using the gun for personal use on the supra and other vehicles so it won't see severe duty type use. I'm not worried about actual weight of the tool as again I won't be using it 8 hours a day. My compressor should handle either gun, it does 9.5 cfm @ 125psi. I'm not hard on my tools as in dropping/throwing them around. I do however want longevity with this tool so that is a big factor.

My top pick, IR thunder gun. It seems to have some serious power and sweet look and sound to it.

Second pick would be the IR 2135tImax. Has a bit more power but might be just over kill. Very high end pro look to it.

I'm thinking save about 100 bucks and go with the thunder gun with cash left over to buy an air ratchet. However if spending the extra 100 bucks really buys me a whole lot more tool I'm up for that. Looking at the specs it's hard for me to decide though. The only major difference is the torque 780 Vs. 625, will that make a big real world difference working on cars? Both seem pretty high to me as it is.

/rambling decision

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
iwannadie;1477148 said:
I'm going to be buying my very first impact gun to go along with my new compressor and need some opinions. Before everyone gets to gung-ho however, I've narrowed my decision down to two different guns. So can we keep the opinions only on these two, no comments about this other brand or this one cheap 12v impact etc.

I will be using the gun for personal use on the supra and other vehicles so it won't see severe duty type use. I'm not worried about actual weight of the tool as again I won't be using it 8 hours a day. My compressor should handle either gun, it does 9.5 cfm @ 125psi. I'm not hard on my tools as in dropping/throwing them around. I do however want longevity with this tool so that is a big factor.

My top pick, IR thunder gun. It seems to have some serious power and sweet look and sound to it.

Second pick would be the IR 2135tImax. Has a bit more power but might be just over kill. Very high end pro look to it.

I'm thinking save about 100 bucks and go with the thunder gun with cash left over to buy an air ratchet. However if spending the extra 100 bucks really buys me a whole lot more tool I'm up for that. Looking at the specs it's hard for me to decide though. The only major difference is the torque 780 Vs. 625, will that make a big real world difference working on cars? Both seem pretty high to me as it is.

/rambling decision

Yes, they will make a big difference.

Go for the more powerful one if you can afford it.

625ft will be enough for most things on your car, but you never know when you may need that extra power.

I have a 600 ft. and that won't take of my crank pulley. (but my compressor is a piece)

It's your decision, but I would go with the better one. It's a lifesaver when you need it.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
The Ti is the one you want. I use it every day at work, drop it all the time, never oil it, takes off truck lug nuts torqued to 550ft/lbs no problem.

Very dependable and powerful.

Apr 1, 2005
WA
I have the IR 2135Qtimax for personal use. I couldnt be happier with it. i got the 'quiet" version and really like the sort of muffled sound it makes.

boosted1jz

in reconstruction
May 9, 2005
alpharetta ga
www.cardomain.com
the IR allllll the way!!! i have the 2131QT and am bout to pick up the titanuim just because..... all my air tools are :) wouldnt use another brand!

plus its a lot quieter(is that a word?!) than most all other brands :)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
boosted1jz;1477738 said:
the IR allllll the way!!! i have the 2131QT and am bout to pick up the titanuim just because..... all my air tools are :) wouldnt use another brand!

plus its a lot quieter(is that a word?!) than most all other brands :)

My two options are both IR brand :love: and I don't want to go with any other brand. Just stuck choosing from those two models.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ir titanium. use(used)mine everyday too and its seen lots of abuse for about 4 years now and still acts like its new. payed 235 from sears a while back. but make sure you oil it everytime you use it. the gun will actually last. i used to work with a dude that had 2 snap on guns cuz he never oiled them so when one would break he would use the other one. oils like 10 bux why waste your money on getting it rebuilt when you could just oil it.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Speaking of oiling it. I plan to oil it every use and all that no question. I was also looking at getting an auto oiler thing but not sure how reliable they are or even how they work ha.

Are the inline oilers worth it or is it better to just spend a few seconds and oil it before use?

KORYTOYORTA

Certified
Apr 10, 2008
OXNARD CA
the cheapest place i have seen. I would get the titanium at the dealer i work at allmost everyone uses it and i have never seen anyone get the thunder gun

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/asp/N.1-2-Dr-Titanium-MAX-Air-Impactool-Combo-Kit/PID.IRC-2135TIMAXKB/prodid.133117/TID.{F11FF8B8-009D-42A1-A9F5-1190A7E67544}/qx/product.htm

this is a combo kit but its like 3 bucks cheaper than just the gun on the same site so you might as well get the kit

the overkill power is to help remove the crank pully bolt, comes in handy

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i would just get some impact oil( i like the ir stuff) it only takes like 3-5(iirc on the back of the ir oil it says 3) drops for a full days use. when you put to much in you will see it just spray out the exhaust either on you, the floor, or possibly what your working on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
This guy uses an impact ;)