Hello from Oregon

Spikeophant

Mar 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon, United States
Hey all,

I'm a MX-73 Cressida owner, but thought that I might join here as Mk II's are very similar in drivetrain to my car. I'm looking for other Toyota fans to go to meets with, etc, and maybe get a little technical guidance on my car. I've mostly owned old mopars, but absolutely love Cressida's, and finally got my hands on one over the weekend. I took it to a shop to get ran through, as I am pretty crunched for time lately, this is the first car I've ever taken to a shop. It does need a clutch, I'm going to do that myself. The shop replaced the slave cylinder, inspected the diff as it's welded (though I'd like to find a 3.73 LSD unit for it), did hoses and belts, aligned it, and I should get it back tomorrow.

It has a couple outstanding issues maybe some of the Mk II Supra folks could give me tips on. One is the clutch, I was planning to go with Exedy, any other suggestions on a good clutch? My other issue is it dies when coming to a stop sometimes. I'll push the clutch in and the car will die, usually from RPM's above 2k. It has an auto ecu in it still. I have a manual ecu, but it looks like some work to install, repin, possibly change out a couple connectors, etc. Any advice there as to a fix that might not require the ecu swapped, like maybe make the ECU think it's in drive somehow and put a toggle switch in to swap to deal with the neutral safety switch? Or is it better to just deal with the ECU swap?

If you guys don't want a Cressida guy here, let me know!

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Welcome from a fellow Oregonian and Cressida owner! We can help you out but will need to know what engine is in your Cress! 5M?

Spikeophant

Mar 13, 2014
Yeah, I'm mostly stock other than cut springs and a 5spd swap. So it's got the stock 5mge. Only modification I know about in that area is a spectre cool air intake. I have barely even looked at the car, bought it Sat, had an outage at work, drove it straight there from buying it, then had to cover for two people on Sunday, and dropped it off Monday morning. It seems to run good, it does have a little blue on start up, I'm guessing a combination of rings and valve seals. I will either build a new 5m for it, or swap a 7m in this winter. Haven't decided and need to get my other project car on the road before I ponder pulling the engine out of this one.

Spikeophant

Mar 13, 2014
Oh, I nearly forgot, here's my MX73

14+-+1

Spikeophant

Mar 13, 2014
Done a bunch of work since I got it, replaced most of the missing interior trim, replaced slave cylinder, did heater hoses, inspected the diff, and trans install. Picked up a new diff from a member on here, hoping it's here next week so I can swap out the welded unit. Fixed the idle problem, got the black plastidip off the drivers side wheels and shined up the lips. Once I do the timing belt and clutch I think it will be good for a nice long time.