Heat soak questions.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Ever since I purchased my current 89 turbo I've had small issues with heat soak and idle. If I park the car for about 30 minutes and start it up, she will have a low and lumpy idle between 450-600 rpms. I just give it some gas because I figure it's just vaporized fuel that hasn't vacated the rail yet and the problem seems to go away, somewhat. I will still have a pretty inconsistant idle but it does fluctuate between 700-800 rpms. I have checked the codes, changed the plugs, changed the wires, and tested the coil packs thinking it could be an ignition problem. Does this sound fuel related to anyone?

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
it may be. have u checked your injectors, maybe u have a few that are leaking fuel into the cylinders when they are not supposed to. also is it hard to start at all? b/c if it is that may also point to that possibility.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
The injectors were actually my first thoughts on the matter, but the car starts fine. I mean, it takes a second, but I only have to turn the key once.

I haven't had them tested, but I did take a stethascope sp* to them to make sure they sounded identical, and they did.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
perhaps you have a leaky o-ring on an injector? check for fuel spray of any sort/ super clean spots etc...

-shaeff

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
thats exactly what happens to me, i will sit infront of little bro's school waiting for him to get out so ican give him a ride and i shut the motor off for like 20 min then when i go to restart the car just jumbles and dies, it happened like 4 times in a row. once it gets running the rpms stay in the 700-800 range i had to play w/ the gas pedal to keep it at a constant idle

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I believe this was listed as a service bullentin which was mentioned by request (no notice sent out by Toyota) The cold start injector temp switch, which determines at which temp. the cold start injector needs to operate was modified and helped to avoid problem starting due to heat soak.
Brian W-88T

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
better yet do you know how to just get the modified one or how to modify it, as soon as this is answered this needs to go into faq.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
prsrcokr said:
I believe this was listed as a service bullentin which was mentioned by request (no notice sent out by Toyota) The cold start injector temp switch, which determines at which temp. the cold start injector needs to operate was modified and helped to avoid problem starting due to heat soak.
Brian W-88T

well if anyone wants to drop 25 bucks they can purchase a subscription to this:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

and can check EVERY TSB, repair manual etc for this cold start injector problem and fix.

id do it but im poor lol....

i used to use this alldate and mitchell programs all the time in my school but im not there anymor eso i dont have my own subscription...

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I remember it being discussed on one of the lists (Sogi) in the past. I'm sure someone on here can look this up but I don't have acces to.

MrBoost

SOGI 94
Apr 1, 2005
Hell Bent in Austin
Maybe you can try to unplug the cold-start injector for a few days, as a diagnostic evaluation. Of course, disregard any starting difficulty at the first start of the day when it may be actually cold.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
This is my second 89T now and it has the same issue as my other one did. same as you guys describe it heat soaks after sitting for like 30 minutes. This one is completley stock and it does it. My old one did it all the time running at 10psi.

So you guys are saying its the cold start injector switch?

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I guess I'm not understanding the correlation between the CSI time switch and heat soak. Is everyone saying to unplug it when I start it hot? If I understand it correctly, I thought the CSI was only supposed to work when it is cold. My car starts fine in the cold.:confused:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i think what they are sayin is that the csi is "affected" by the heat soak. so it acts weird when hot. i geuss that my way of lookin at it.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
I think they might be saying that the CSI floods the engine when it's warm outside because the switch thinks it's cold, but it's not...

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Idealsupra said:
well if anyone wants to drop 25 bucks they can purchase a subscription to this:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

and can check EVERY TSB, repair manual etc for this cold start injector problem and fix.

id do it but im poor lol....

i used to use this alldate and mitchell programs all the time in my school but im not there anymor eso i dont have my own subscription...

I am having same issues.
On the other hand, i do have access to AllData, so i will check it..print it...and try and post it here as well......but when...i am not sure..maybe this weekend.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I put louvers in my hood and it completely solved ANY kind of heat soak problems under the hood. It also makes it so that there is no "heat wave" when you first open the hood as well. Not for everyone, but I like it!